Lounger
    Thanks

Archive Email (Outlook 2003)

I have lots of email that I want to archive. I connect to an exchange server, but download all the email I want to keep to a personal folder on my PC. This personal folder gets very large, and I want to move this email to a server for storage. I have been just selecting all the email in the personal folder and dragging it to a new folder on my desktop, and then moving that folder to the LAN storage. This seems to work, but in this folder, the date modified all shows the date when the folder was created, not the date I received the email. The other alternative, I think, is to use the Outlook archive function, but that creates a file called "archive.pst". If I want to keep separate archives (each with, say, three months of email), and Outlook insists on naming them all "archive.pst", how do I keep them separate? Can I change the archive name? Or, do I just have to keep each one of the archive.pst files in a separate folder with different names?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Archive Email (Outlook 2003)

Start the File | Archive process manually in OL 2003, the path and file box at bottom of the initial dialog allows you to change the path and name of the archive folder, or you can create a new file and location using the Browse button.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

>I have been just selecting all the email in the personal folder and dragging it to a new folder on my desktop, and then moving that folder to the LAN storage.

Have you tried, dragging the folders in which the email is contained - rather than the mail inside the folders? (With mail still in Inbox, you may first have to "park" it in a subfolder of your Source PST.)

HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm now confused between Outlook Folders and File Folders. If I drag an OL Folder to a File Folder, all I get in the File Folder is a link back to the OL Folder ... ?? I think I need a clearer understanding of what the OP means by "selecting all the email in the personal folder and dragging it to a new folder on my desktop, and then moving that folder to the LAN storage". I assumed he meant a PST in LAN storage, not a File Folder.
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

My understanding is that the OP is archiving out of his online store or OST into a PST. The suggestion is to copy/move the online store/OST contents by folder - rather than copy/move the messages (individually - in bulk). If items are in a Default Folder in the online store/OST, they may well have to be shunted into a non-default folder first. Any clearer?
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I hope your understanding of his process is correct. It would seem much simpler to me that he create a PST on the LAN, and periodically open it and drag folders or items to it, than by dropping things onto the desktop, etc., as described. And it would also make my explanation on creating PST files useful.

It is a great annoyance to me that Microsoft uses the term 'Folder' and 'Explorer' for various objects that have little or nothing to do with each other; it's easy to get confused about what Folder or what Explorer someone is talking about.
    UTC -7DS