New Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting in Word & multiple versions (2003 SR1)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Sep-04 13:01. subject changed to be more descriptive)</P>
    None of the following happens with Word 97/2000:
    1. When text is pasted into a document, a little drop-down box appears, featuring paste options. This is handy; but it sits right over adjacent text, obscuring it until the user does something to make it go away. One "something" that doesn't make it go away is to open the drop-down list and select an option. One might think that, once the user selects a paste option, the paste options drop-down would go away. Nope. It still covers adjacent text until the user starts doing "something" else.
    2. Install told me I could leave Office 2000 on my computer; so I did. Now, Word 2000 won't open anymore, until it installs something (it never says what). Then, Word 2003 won't open until it installs something!
    3. Attempting to open a .doc file by pointing and double-clicking on an icon or hyperlink results in Word opening, but usually hanging without displaying the document (only the gray background shows). Then

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting in Word & multiple versions (2003 SR1)

I can't answer the first question, as I don't have Word 2003. When you have multiple versions of Word on your computer & you double click a file, Word must determine which program to open, using information contained in the registry. In this case, the .doc file can only be associated with one version of Word at a time (assuming one operating system). Therefore, what is being "installed" is a registry change.

The versions should have been installed into different folders. Since you've apparently had some crashes, try deleting temp files as described in the first step of <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>. To troubleshoot problems, see if this article helps.
    Hope this helps,

Thanks

Re: Pasting in Word & multiple versions (2003 SR1)

The first thing you describe was added in Word 2002. The are (or were) called the "Paste Options buttons," and can (or could) be turned on and off using the Edit tab of the Tools>Options... dialog. The attached illustration is for Word 2002; your dialogs may vary.
    Attached Images Attached Images