3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Analyse Corrupt Database (2000)

Is there any way to analyse a corrupt database, with a view to finding out how it became corrupted?. I have been sent a backend that 'crashed' yesterday. The backend is in Access 2000 format and is used by several front ends in XP or 2003 formats. Over the phone I suggested attempting a compact and repair. They tried this but their Compact and Repair (on a 2003 machine) also crashed. I now have the database on my machine and have tried to compact and repair in an Access 2000 environment. So far I have had one attempt crash with the very informative 'Access has encountered a problem and will now close ....' message, and another hang with Access still on the screen but nothing at all happening.

Does anyone know of any utilities out there that can dig a bit deeper than Compact and Repair and either fix the problem or give some clue as to what went wrong? Fixing it will be a bit late for this problem, as they have had to restore from backup, but it would be comforting to know that I had another trick up my sleeve.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Analyse Corrupt Database (2000)

Can you open the database or does that crash as well? One thing to try is to create a new mdb and attempt to import the objects from the corrupt one. Usually corruption will manifest in one or two tables, often only one. The usual suspect is a memo field, but other problems can arise when there has been a network connection loss or other network problems during a write to the data file.
    Charlotte

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Analyse Corrupt Database (2000)

Don't know any utilities that will "analyze" a corrupt database. But in response to question:

"Does anyone know of any utilities out there that can dig a bit deeper than Compact and Repair and either fix the problem or give some clue as to what went wrong? "

Recommend see MSKB 273956:

ACC2000: Jet Compact Utility Available in Download Center

According to article, "Although you can run the Microsoft Access Compact utility or the CompactDatabase method with Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x and 4.x, Jetcomp.exe may be able to recover some databases that these utilities cannot. The reason for this is that the Microsoft Access Compact utility and the CompactDatabase method attempt to open and close a database before attempting to compact it. ... JETCOMP.exe does not attempt to open and close the database before compacting, and may therefore be able to recover some databases that the Microsoft Access compact utility and the CompactDatabase method cannot."

So this is something you can try before giving up on the database as being hopelessly corrupted.

HTH