Thread: WMP 9

New Lounger
    Thanks

WMP 9

I am having problem with Windows Media Player 9. I downloaded and installed it without any problems, everything works and looks good but I have no sound. It is now the default player.
    I can play CDs and mp3 and .wav etc in Real Player perfectly. My sound card has no problems nor do my speakers. I am running Windows Me on a Pentium 4 with 1024 GB RAM. I also have a 120 GB hardrive with 92 GB free.
    I'm sure this is a simple thing that I have overlooked but I can't see the forest for the trees!

Thanks

Re: WMP 9

>>> ... I have no sound. It is now the default player.

Do you mean there is no sound when you use WMP, but there is with other programs?

Do you want it *not* to be the default player?

It may be worth going straight for WMP 10 - if that doesn't fix it at least we would be working towards getting you a working latest version.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In addition to what Leif said, I have observed on a couple of occasions that the first time you use a freshly installed copy of WMP the volume slider will be all the way to the left. I don't know if it was a freak happening or if it always does that. You might check yours if you haven't already.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Leif,

WMP10 is for XP only.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for responding to my problem. I have been away for the weekend so haven't had chance to reply before now . I will reply to all three posts in this one.
    Leif -
    No, there is no sound at all in WMP - my PC system sounds are fine and I can play audio and video in RP. I also get no sound in my pc games, however solitaire and spider (system games) have sound.
    I really have no preference on a default player either is fine with me, but some applications will only play on WMP (Yahoo Launch for example).
    As Joe said WMP10 is only for XP. I have XP Pro on my other systems and need to keep Me on this one for other purposes. I removed a previous version of WMP9 (due to lack of sound) and then downloaded and re-installed the latest 9x. You know the results.
    Bigaldoc.
    I re-checked the volume slider bar in WMP9 and it is set at full volume and the mute is not depressed. My system volume is set at almost full volume and my speakers are set halfway and are on. As I said before Real Player is fine with audio, video and radio stations.
    I really appreciate you guys taking the time with this I am sure there is a very simple explanation but I just can't see it. I have been using computers for 20 years and have never had this before.
    Thanks again