3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Templates (Word 2002)

I edit a magazine, and regularly update the basic template on which I print out articles.
    However, if I have an article file saved on the disk, say in July 2004, and then wish to open it now in September, it will appear according to the state of the template as it was back in July. How, if at all, can I adjust Word so that the old article opens into the template in its present condition?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Templates (Word 2002)

This is exactly why you have the option "Automatically Update Document Styles" on the Templates and Add-ins dialog box. Most people keep this turned off, so that styles in their documents don't get over-written by styles with the same name in the template. You want to turn it on for these documents.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I would only add that this will work so long as you've used styles in your articles. If you use direct formatting, this will not update.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. That does seem to work with styles. But is there anything I can do to facilitate the updating of headers and footers, also of new macros, new arrangements of toolbars. I can see manual ways of doing some of this through the Templates and Add-Ins organizer, but it seems very cumbersome.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Philip:
    I'm not a VBA expert, so Stuart or one of the other Lounges may have solutions for your toolbars & macros. However, I would think that if the attached template is updated, & that is what you're using to create the documents, then the toolbars & macros should be available. You could also put these toolbars & macros in a global template, if they will be used universally, but it shouldn't be necessary if you're only updating one type of template. As long as you're saving your toolbars & macros in the same attached template, they will be available.

As far as updating headers, yes & no. Once text is placed in a document, changing the attached template won't change that text, whether it's in a main body or the header. You have a couple of solutions. You can save Autotext entries in the attached template. Your header/footer could then contain the {AutoTextList} field. When you update the autotext in the attached template, the header/footer will update.

The other solution is to have a separate file that contains the text &/or graphics that go in the header. In the article's header, you use the {IncludeText} or {IncludePicture} field (or link field). This will update when you change the source file.

The syntax for each of these fields can be found in Word's Help file. If you have any problems, post back.
    Cheers,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can get all of this to do what you want, but it will be a lot of work! You need to decide whether this activity is something you do often enough for it to be worth the effort.

The easiest way to update the headers and footers might be to use an IncludeText field to get the text of your old article into a blank document that has the correct new headers, footers and styles.

StuartR

Thanks

The ultimate solution (well, one solution) is to store the bits and pieces in a data repository and then build the document to current spec on the fly. This is the approach taken with most web content nowadays, and is potentially applicable to Word, either from an actual database or from AutoText stored in a document template (and displayed using AutoText fields). But... it may well not be worth changing your architecture if this is a one-time conversion.