Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Caliban's will

When Caliban's will was opened it was found to contain the following clause:

"I leave ten of my books to each of Low, Y.Y., and 'Critic,' who are to choose in a certain order.

No person who has seen me in a green tie is to choose before Low.

If Y.Y. was not in Oxford in 1920 the first chooser never lent me an umbrella.

If Y.Y. or 'Critic' has second choice, 'Critic' comes before the one who first fell in love."

Unfortunately Low, Y.Y., and 'Critic' could not remember any of the relevant facts; but the family solicitor pointed out that, assuming the problem to be properly constructed (i.e. assuming it to contain no statement superfluous to its solution) the relevant data and order could be inferred.

What was the prescribed order of choosing; and who lent Caliban an umbrella?

Alan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Caliban's will

Time for a hint I think:
    <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">A conditional sentence would be superfluous if the first part is wrong, so the first part is always true.</span hide>

Alan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So I guess the order must be
    <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">Low first
    Critic second
    YY last</span hide>
    But I can;t tell if the umbrella lender was <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">critic</span hide> or <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">YY</span hide>

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I came to the same conclusions Stuart. And I don't believe <span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #FFFF00; font-weight: bold">there's any way of determining definitely, who lent the umbrella.</span hide>

Alan