Lounger
    Thanks

Standby problem (XP Home SP1)

When I try to put my computer in StandBy mode, it goes there just briefly but then "wakes up" from the blank screen after just a few seconds and returns to the desktop screen. Has anybody had that problem or know of how it might be fixed?

Thanks

Re: Standby problem (XP Home SP1)

More than likely the same problem as in your <!post=post,405075>post<!/post> . See my reply to that post.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Standby problem (XP Home SP1)

I've had that problem in the following form: the box starts to hibernate or suspend but then wakes up again complaining that it can't communicate with the keyboard. Thanks to the help pages of SRamesh (www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/) I found this is typical behavior when a service ties in to the keyboard driver to enable the use of hot-keys, and the service isn't ACPI-aware. Prime example (and the culprit in my case): Adobe's ATM v. 4 (dating from 1997, and installed with Acrobat Pro v. 4). Uninstalling ATM (through Start | ControlPanel | AddOrRemovePrograms) solved the problem. Quite possibly camouflaging the file ATMhelpr.sys (say, by renaming it [ATMhelpr.sys]) might have been equally effective. Here's part of Adobe's description of what that file does: "ATM installs a keyboard driver utility (Atmhelpr.sys), a small file that can be used to turn off the ATM Font Driver during Windows startup ... ." Many thanks to SRamesh and his uncanny knack for posting relevant suggestions on his site! -- fej