Lounger
    Thanks

Error: 'mrtRate service failed (XP Home SP1)

In viewing my Error Log, it seems like everytime I turn on the computer it gives an error notice from the Service Control Manager saying "The mrtRate service failed to start due to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified." Is this a serious error that needs to be dealt with to avoid big problems down the road? And if so, any ideas as to how to deal with it? Or is it no big deal?

What is this "mrtRate service" thing anyway?
    Thanks for any input than anyone might be able to give.

Thanks

Re: Error: 'mrtRate service failed (XP Home SP1)

See this <!mskb=810905>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 810905<!/mskb>. Not exactly the same problem but it might point you in the right direction (i.e. Quicken).
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

mrtrate service is a Intuit Quicken DLL, part of it's rate sensing manager.

It is not a system DLL, so the question is do you now have or did you once have Quicken installed in your machine?
    If you no longer have Quicken, you can do a search for the DLL in your registry and delete it.
    If you still have Quicken, then I guess you would have to reinstall it. ( Quicken )
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

I read the knowledge base article you referred me to and went through the steps to disable the mrtrate driver, but I did not find it listed in the Non-Plug and Play Drivers. Any idea where it might be hiding? Quicken shows as a program in the program menu and it is listed in the Add or Remove Programs device on the Control Panel BUT it shows up as having NO SIZE! So does that mean it isn't installed yet? But if that's the case then why would I be having this "mrtRate service" error always coming up? Any ideas?

Thanks

As Bob asked you in his reply, "do you now have or did you once have Quicken installed in your machine?" I would suspect that Quicken or Quickbooks was installed on your machine at one time and then removed. Either the uninstall did not remove everything or it was removed by simply deleting its directories. Something is still calling mrtRate, most likely on startup. Run msconfig and see if you can find anything there. If you're not familiar with msconfig - Start>Run> type "msconfig" (without the quotes), click OK and then click on the startup tab. You may find an entry here that refers to Quicken or Quickbooks. If so, uncheck it, reboot and see if that solves the problem.
    John

Lounger
    Thanks

This is a new computer (HP a650y) which we just bought in late July. Everything on it except a couple of things I installed are as it came from the factory. I don't know if the factory just puts things on the programs menu to be installed by the user if I decide I want it or how that works; but it does show Quicken 2004 on the program menu along with an "uninstall" option. Do you think I should click the "uninstall"? Or should I click the "Quicken 2004" on the menu and see what happens? I really don't want Quicken at all. But I'd sure like to get rid of this "mrtRate" thing. So if that means having Quicken or not having it, I'll go with whatever works. I just got the SP2 CD in the mail today and I want the computer to be in good shape before trying to install that.
    I did uncheck the "Quicken Scheduled ....." in msconfig (there didn't seem to be any other items that looked like they might be Quicken), but still had the same problem with standby after restart.
    Anyway, thanks for any thoughts on this.

Thanks

If you don't want Quicken, then by all means uninstall it. It's certainly worth a try to solve the problem. You also mentioned earlier that Quicken appears in "Add/Remove Programs" but displays no file size. That's not too unusual. I have a few applications that also display no file size (for whatever reason).
    John

Thanks

Sure, go ahead and uninstall Quicken.
    This along with a lot of other programs that are installed in a pre-packed system package can be removed. Why keep something that you will never want to use and have it take up HD space?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob and John
    Thanks for all your help on this. Now I have another question: I read somewhere that one way of uninstalling is more effective and more complete than another but I can't remember which way it was. Should I uninstall using the "uninstall" on the program menu under Quicken, or should I uninstall via " Add or Remove Programs" in the Control Panel?

Thanks

If "uninstall" is one of the items on the application menu, I will usually choose that one, rather than the Control Panel Add/Remove Programs. I'm not really sure if it makes much difference however, as often when I have used the Control Panel Add/Remove, it calls the application's uninstall routine (if there is one).
    John

Thanks

DeeJay,
    One or the other is usually fine. Control Panel addremove usually looks for an uninstall file within the program itself, so six of one, half dozen of another.
    To make sure you remove everything from your HD, after you run addremove, go to windows explorer and find the folder of the "removed" program. A lot of times remove doesn't really remove ALL. You can delete the folder and any subfolders at that point.
    BOB

Today it is called golf!