Thanks

File associations (XP SP2)

I had a friend using my PC today, who logged in using the guest profile. In my own profile, I open a .jpg file and it opens in Microsoft Office Picture Manager (I have Office 2003). In the guest profile, it opened in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. Is that really the intended behaviour that the file associations are set separately in each profile? Is there any way of making them the same? (Though I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not.)

Ian

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: File associations (XP SP2)

This is an Office installation issue. I believe it has to be installed for each user. Then the file associations should be the same.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

I'm not sure that I know what you mean I should do. In my own account, for example, or in any ot the other user accounts that have administrator privileges, I can change what program deals with JPG files. In my account it is set to Microsoft Office Picture Manager, and I could change that if I wanted. In fact in other accounts apart from the guest account, it is set for that as well, without having to instal anything again in the other accounts. But In the guest account JPGs are set to open with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, and because the Guest account does not have administrator rights, I can't change it there. (I have another issue with this on my wife's PC, but I'd better keep things tidy and start a separate thread about that.) By the way, I should have said this is XP Home edition.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This is the purpose of a Guest account. It is VERY limited and prevents anyone using that account from mucking up ones computer.

If you want a "Guest Account" that has more access, you need to make your OWN Guest account, but must be named something else.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks

Well I don't really want a guest account with more access, but I do want the file associations in it to be right.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

What is to say which is Right?
    On my Home system I have the same as yours, so I would lead to say that the associations are correct as far as MS is concerned. I am running Windows XP Home SP2 and Office 2003 SP1.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't quite understand your answer. I thought part of the idea of file associations was that where there was more than one program that could open a type of file, you could specify which one you wanted to use. If I can't change it while I am in the Guest account, can I change it for the Guest account while I am in my own account (perhaps by editing the registry)? It uses the program I want it to in all the user profiles except the Guest one, and I didn't set it to do that - having installed Office 2003, that's the way it was.

Ian

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you run any Office products with out a error message on open of the programs?

On my laptop the "Source engine" gives a error, I am trying to track that down.

Thanks

Yes, I was getting the source engine error when I tried to use an Office program in the guest profile. (Though OK in other profiles.) I clicked OK and the program started anyway, but next time it did it again. I read the Help about this, as the error message suggested, and in my own profile which has admin rights I did as it said which was as follows (copied and pasted from setup.chm as I can never remember how to get a screen print into one of my posts here!)

"To resolve this issue, perform the following steps:

If the Office Source Engine has been stopped or disabled

Log on with Administrative privileges.
    Right click on My Computer.
    Select Manager.
    Click on Services and Applications.
    Select Services.
    Find Office Source Engine and enable the Service.

If the Office Source Engine has been deleted

Log on with Administrative privileges.
    Run Setup (setup.exe) for Office.
    Select Repair or Reinstall, and then click Next.
    Select Reinstall, and then click Install.
    Complete the installation for Office. "

I found the source engine service was set to manual, and I changed it to automatic, and now all seems to be well in the guest profile. I didn't need to run setup.exe.

Hope that may help you.

Ian

Thanks

.... And reading the replies to my other recent post about file associations <post#=405429>post 405429</post#> , I have found the answer to this one too.

Ian