New Lounger
    Thanks

Reformat XP (XP)

I need to reformat my XP, I know how to in 9x no problem. But I need alittle help getting started in XP. HELP!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformat XP (XP)

Hi Julie

The first part to reinstalling any system is preparation, as you have already reinstalled 9x systems you probably gone through these steps before.

PREPARATION
    Backup your files - not just data files and documents but files that store your settings. If you use Office consider the save your settings wizard.
    Make sure you have the installation CDs for all of your applications (plus any registration/activation codes)
    Make sure you have copies of all of the latest drivers for your system.
    Consider Slipstreaming SP2 and using that CD to reformat & reinstall Windows. You can also use Autostreamer for slipstreaming SP2.

REINSTALLING WINDOWS XP
    WindowsReinstall.com has a very good guide to the process, including numerous screen shots. PC Magazine also contains a useful article into the process.
    Some OEMs include a recovery disc or even a hidden partition with the installation files instead of the full Windows XP CD. WindowsReinstall.com includes some guides to reinstalling these systems.
    If you did not use a slipstreamed version of Windows XP then consider patching to SP2 straight after reinstalling Windows.

After reinstalling an operating system I would update the drivers before installing any applications. Once you have Windows installed consider using disc imaging software, it makes reverting back to the system in this state easier.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Reformat XP (XP)

Thanks Tony!!