3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macro buttons (Word 2000/3)

I have created a template containing macros and a toolbar with custom buttons that run the macros.
    Each user is to receive a copy of this document that will be saved in his templates folder.
    What is happening is that when the user creates a document from the template by using File > New and selecting the template name, the option to enable the macros works, but then when the user clicks on the buttons to activate the macros, an error returns to say that the macro setting are set to high.
    They are in fact set to Medium. However when I look at the path of the button, it gives me Normal.xxxxxxx which is not correct, it should be the template name.Macro name.
    This seems to have something to do with the save action.
    Any ideas?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macro buttons (Word 2000/3)

I am not sure, Lynden, if I understand the problem, but generally, building toolbars via VBA code is the best method when sharing.
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=14 will show you how to do that.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Lynden,
    If you put buttons to run macro's on a toolbar, then that toolbar could by default be saved in your Normal.dot, unless specified otherwise. So the best thing to do is to open your template containing the macro's and building the toolbar from scratch, making sure that the little drop down box at the bottom of the dialog displays the name of your custome template and not Normal.dot.

By the way, you're distributing that template to every user, to put in his templates folder. If those users are on a network, a different approach would be to place the commonly used template(s) in a network folder and, in Words Tools | Options | File locations, let every user point the Workgroup templates folder to that network folder. That way, you only have to replace 1 instance of the template when you're updating it.

Thanks

From various posts, I am getting the sense that Word 2003 is a bit more strict about template security than earlier versions. If you do find problems in 2003 that do not exist in 2000, that would be helpful to describe in more detail.