New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting & Fractions (excel 2000)

I have two problems that I hope can be sorted out here. Thanks in advance for any help.
    1) I have sorted a 3 column array (number, value and rank) by rank.
    I only need values that are less than 10. Lines with values above 10 can completely disappear as I don't need them.
    Is it possible to automatically exclude any values above 10 in the value column?
    2) I receive data from an outside scource. Some of this data is in fractions. The original fractions have been added in using a date format. ie: 3 August = d/m = 3/8.
    Is there a way of automatically getting these values to a decimal value?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting & Fractions (excel 2000)

1. Use Data-Filter-Autofilter. Once you have the dropdown arrows, choose Custom.
    2. So, all those fractions are entered as dates, then? Try =MONTH(A1)/DAY(A1) (making sure your cells are formatted as numbers...)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding Q1, I agree with Dreamboat. Use autofilter and filter for <10 to eliminate unneeded records.

For Q2:
    Some info on fractions: To enter a fraction in Excel, type the whole number (or integer) followed by a space, and then type the fraction, using a slash (for example, 3/9). If you type only a fraction, Excel may interpret it as a date (so it might read 3/9 as March 9). To avoid this mistranslation, enter 0, a space, and then the fraction.

If you recieve the spreadsheet from someone else, inform them about the above, so they can enter the data correctly.
    If you type 0 3/4, you simply change the cell number format to GENERAL and it shows 0.75.

I'm not too sure of a formula to change your existing DATE into a decimaled fraction??? Get it entered correctly is the best solution!
    Regards,
    Rudi

New Lounger
    Thanks

Problems solved. Thank you very much.