5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Apostrophies converted to boxes (Outlook XP)

When I send a message using Outlook 2003 to someone using GroupWise every apostrophe is converted to a box in my text which is at the end of the reply message (coming from a GroupWise 6.5 user). I am sending my message in HTML format using MS Word as my email editor. Is there a way to correct this formatting problem either on the GroupWise end or the Outlook end?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Apostrophies converted to boxes (Outlook XP)

Did you test it without using Word as the email editor?
    What happens if you use plain text?

It might help if you try the different formats since so few of us will be likely to have Groupwise...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have received messages (not replies) from some using GroupWise with the same results.

Thanks

I'm almost certain the problem will go away if you turn off "Smart Quotes." In Word, navigate through Tools>AutoCorrect Options...>AutoFormat as You Type, and uncheck the first option.

Added: Just to state the obvious, this would be for future messages. Any you've sent in the past with "smart quotes" in them probably will continue to be messed up on the Groupwise end.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that Smart Quotes create the problem. I have seen this and other formating problems in other email and now I think I know what is happening. A newsletter I receive is created in MS Word, pasted into a GroupWise message window and the formatting, including the apostrophe problem, is a mess. Novell should correct this.

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 06-Sep-04 15:20. Tested!)</P>> Novell should correct this.

I think part of the problem is that Microsoft may not be substituting valid HTML for Smart Quotes when sending mail from Word. If you send a message to yourself and view the HTML source, you can see whether there is a hard-coded "smart quote" or an HTML code like & rsquo; or & #8217; (without the space after the & symbol), both of which were standardized by W3C six or seven years ago.

(W3C HTML 4.0 link)

Update: Word 2002 does substitute the correct numbered entities for "smart quotes." This suggests that your correspondents are parsing messages with a very primitive HTML parser. Whether this means they are using a very old version of Groupwise, or what, I have no idea.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

This problem first appeared to me in an email newsletter I receive from an LA based think tank. The author was creating the text in Word and pasting it into a GroupWise message as the foundation uses GroupWise. I found out that it was an older version (4.5 I think). I just dropped my daughter off at college this weekend and while there I discussed the University's computer system with some of the tech people as they are running a Novell network and the students are encouraged to us GroupWise as their email client. They make version 6.5 (the latest) available to the students free. It appeared that they preferred GroupWise to Outlook 2003 (Office 2003 is also licenced and made available to every student) to make it easier for the volunteer support staff. They do have a POP mail server but recommend IMAP for GroupWise. As we were preparing to leave I tried to set up my daughter's Outlook client to use the University's POP servers. I was able to receive email with Outlook, but outgoing mail just stuck in the Outbox. So I told her to use GroupWise and enjoy college. So without a teenager at home to enjoy about for the first time in years, I have taken on this problem to resolve.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LOL, Jim.

It might be easier to get another teenager.