Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Spontaneous Termination Word 2003 (11.6113.5703)

I regularly have several Word documents open at the same time and often switch between them using the tabs at the bottom of the page. After I switch between these documents a few times Word will often spontaneously close and I am forced to recover the documents. I have used various versions of Word for many years -- and the same version of Word at work -- and have never experienced this problem before. I have already tried the "Detect and Repair" feature without any luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spontaneous Termination Word 2003 (11.6113.5703)

Probably 75% or more of Word issues are caused by a bad normal.dot file. Find the file on your machine, and rename it. Complete troubleshooting instructions and info on normal.dot and finding normal.dot on some machines that hide it, can be found here: http://www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm In particular, read Step 3.

Thanks

Re: Spontaneous Termination Word 2003 (11.6113.57

I've never heard of that one either, but I'm still using Word 2002. If you happen to use any task panes that refresh from the web, try closing those whenever they are not in use. You also can try the steps in Phil Rabichow's <!post=Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word,197827>Systematic Approach to Behavioral Problems in Word<!/post>.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I've only seen that happen when Word/Windows also displays an accompanying error message.
    Do not ever recall seeing a silent termination.

Are you get error messages before termination?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I never get an error message. Word just closes.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Then the cause would be a very serious bug in Word/Windows, or a misdesigned add-in or macro.

For example, some add-in/macro might be trying to process the documents collection, but does not allow enough array storage.
    I've seen subscript errors like that cause mysterious terminations if the code does not properly trap the error.
    Poor error trapping could cause mysterious terminations.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you using MS Word as your email editor and have closed Outlook when this happens?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I use MS Word as my email editor, but as far as I can recall, Outlook is still up and running when this occurs.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have added only two toolbars that do not come with Word: Acrobat 6.0 and Workshare's Deltaview (does document comparisons).

One thing that confounds me is that I bought a new work computer at the same time as I bought the one at home that is having this Word termination issue. Both computers are configured almost identically. Yet, this problem occurs on the home machine but not on the one at work. Go figure.

Thanks to you and the other posters for the feedback.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If you haven't done so yet, I would try the steps in the post that Jefferson referred you to. It could very well be one of the add-ins. I know that when Word 2002 came out, there were some issues with the activation in which Word would terminate after 25 activations if it thought the copy wasn't licensed, but I haven't kept up with what has happened since.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Acrobat has a looong history of not playing nice with Word.
    For example, see http://www.standards.com/OhMyWord/VBABugsF...s.html#PDFMaker.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

We are also getting reports of this behavior in Word 2003 from some of our company users since we went to the 2003 version. Only two or three users out of hundreds. Word will "spontaneously close" is what they are reporting -- it will disappear off the screen, and it is not on the taskbar

HOWEVER, if I have them ALT-TAB, it still shows it as one of the program choices. And it still shows winword in the task processes. So Word is still running, but no long showing!

Any new clues you all would have on this would help.

JWD -- can you check to see if you Word is still an option with ALT-TAB when this happens to you next?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are these users sometimes plugging in multiple monitors? This sounds like a second screen might be a factor and Word is open off the visible screen area.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

While that is an interesting and worthwhile idea, Andrew, unfortunately no -- these machines are not set up or capable even of dual monitors. But thanks for the idea.

pribb

Thanks

If you Alt+Tab to the missing application, do all the other active windows become inactive? If you then press Alt+F11 do you get the VB Editor? If so, you could try repositioning the Word window using the VBE's Immediate window (Ctrlr+G). One by one, copy a line, paste, and press enter at the end of it to execute the command:

activewindow.Visible = True
    application.WindowState = wdWindowStateNormal
    activewindow.Top = 0
    activewindow.Left = 0

Does that help?? (It probably could be done externally with VBS and GetObject to grab the Word application, but no time to experiment with that at the moment.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast