Thanks

vbCr vs. ^p (Word 2002 SP-2)

As part of a Find.Text string, vbCr (or, alternatively, Chr$(13)) seems to be equivalent to "^p". But if I use vbCr in a Find.Replacement.Text string, the resulting "paragraph marks" don't behave like independent paragraphs. (Ditto if I use Chr$(13) or, for that matter, vbCrLf.)

Can anyone explain the subtle distinction (at least for replacement purposes) between vbCr and a full-fledged "paragraph mark"?

Thanks

Re: vbCr vs. ^p (Word 2002 SP-2)

A Word paragraph mark is supposed to be a vbCrLf -- Chr(13) & Chr(10). I think you are better off replacing with ^p than with the vb constants unless you are trying to achieve a particular effect.

Thanks

Supposed to be perhaps, but I've noted that Word finds ordinary paragraph marks if Find.Text is vbCr and doesn't find them if Find.Text is vbCrLf.

Based on today's experience, I definitely agree that ^p is the way to go if you want an ordinary paragraph mark.

If you put a vbCr in Find.Replacement.Text, it ends up as a "paragraph mark" (to judge by its onscreen representation) that behaves more like a soft return (in that it moves to a new line but keeps you within the same paragraph). I wondered if anyone had any insight into the nature of these, or dangers, or (who knows?) maybe even some unique use for them in the right circumstances.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

One of the unique uses for the pseudo Returns is when doing wildcard search and replaces. You are not allowed to include ^p in the wildcards but replacing it with ^13 does the same thing. Then when you have finished your wildcard task, turn off wildcards and replace ^13 with ^p to tidy the file again.

I don't use them for anything else but maybe they have another use.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andrew:
    Although you can't find ^p using wildcards, you can use ^p in the replace box with wildcards. So you can save a step in Find/Replace by using wildcards &
    Find: ^13 & whatever other expression you're using
    Replace: whatever you want plus ^p