Lounger
    Thanks

Internet lost, network good!

Several times a day I lose my connection to the Internet. The email still comes in, and I can transfer files to the second computer on the network. I have WinXP SP1 and a Linksys router connecting to my DSL modem. I have successfully pinged my router and the other computer, but I cannot ping the Internet. Everything works from the second computer, which has never had this problem. It uses a wireless connection to the router.

The fix for this is to go to Network Connections and click the Local Area Connection. Then Repair This Connection. I always get an error message stating that the following part of the repair failed: Purging the DNS Resolver Cashe. I don't think this is part of the problem, as I manually flush the DNS cashe from the command prompt, and this does not solve the problem (prior to doing the Repair Connection from the menu).

Is there some setting I can make to improve the reliability of my Internet access?

Thanks, Bruce

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Internet lost, network good!

Have you checked the Linksys web site for possible firmware updates? You didn't say what model and how long you've had it, but in the "early days" with my Linksys, I had a problem similar to yours that was fixed with a firmware update. When you open the router's settings screens, is there WAN information shown as well as your local LAN? If so, you may be headed in the right direction - some setting on the one computer. If so, how about from a command window, do an IPCONFIG /ALL to see what it says? You could post a screenshot if possible.

Lounger
    Thanks

I woud suggest the problem is not with your network but a low signal from the DSL carrier. Does this loss of internet happen randomly or near the same times each day? If so it may be when heavy demand for the internet causes your signal to degrade. I would contact your DSL carrier and provide with the times that the system goes down. Good luck!

Lounger
    Thanks

Right -- a firmware upgrade. My firmware was dated 6/19/03. I just installed a version dated 5/27/04. I hope this fixes it. I will need to wait to see. -Thanks- Bruce