2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format Maxtor External Drive in FAT32

Hi,

I have an 80 GB Maxtor external hard drive, running under Windows 2000 SP-4. When I originally used this drive, it was formatted with FAT32 with no problem. It's now formatted with NTFS, but I'd like to use it with some systems that still run Windows 98 and so need FAT32 for it to be visible.

Attempts to format it within Windows Explorer failed to change the file system; it would get to the very end and then say it couldn't do it. I tried using the following command prompt:

format f: /X /FS:FAT32

in order to dismount the drive then reformat it in FAT32. Again, this seemed to work fine until the very end, when it says it can't do it, as the drive is too large for FAT32. I have an 80GB drive on a computer that is in FAT32, so I know this is not the case, and this drive was initially set up with FAT32.

Any suggestions on how I can revert this drive to FAT32?

Thanks,

John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format Maxtor External Drive in FAT32

This info is from <!mskb=184006>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 184006<!/mskb>.
    <hr>You cannot format a volume larger than 32 GB in size using the FAT32 file system in Windows 2000. The Windows 2000 FastFAT driver can mount and support volumes larger than 32 GB that use the FAT32 file system (subject to the other limits), but you cannot create one using the Format tool. This behavior is by design. If you need to create a volume larger than 32 GB, use the NTFS file system instead.<hr>
    Now, I have no experience with external drives, so you probably can't do what I do. I have a Win98SE boot floppy that I always use to format hard drives. Have you downloaded and tried the latest Maxtor diagnostics to see if that software will re-initialize the drive as FAT32?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You might try to partition the 80 into 3 sections, then format them to FAT32 - try FDISK or download a trial version of Partition Magic.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know if this is significant in your situation, but I found I needed to use the updated version of FDISK when dealing with large HDs under Windows 98.

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

If you mean sharing a folder or folders you don't need to re-format. You only need to re-format if you are actually going to install it on a system running win98.

Joe
    Joe