2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NERO Burning Rom and PC Jam

hi all, i got this LITEON cd-rw bought about one year ago and the NERO burning rom software to burn my cd-rw. recently, many times, after the burning is successful and i read the cd-rw using LITEON machine to check new data are updated, the pc is jam, the mouse won't move, the ALT+CTRL+DELETE keys won't function and i waited for around 15 minutes with no response, i took out the cd-rw from the machine and the situation still so. i have no choice and reset the pc. most recent, while the machine is burning the cd-rw, the pc got jam and the burning was not complete. next time, i will check the completed buring cd-rw using cd-rom so that it probably won't spoil my LITEON machine. since now the pc jam during the burning process, anyone knows what is wrong here and how to fix it? THANKS A LOT.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NERO Burning Rom and PC Jam

Your message looks as if you have a buffer overrun problem.

Can you give a few more facts about your computer setup? Manufacturer? Operating system? Are you up-to-date on hot fixes for the operating system, and on the latest version of Nero? Have you only just installed this LITEON device? Have you written and re-read CR-RW disks successfully before/has the problem started happening recently? Do you get the same problem with writing CD-R disks?

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi John, i can answer some of your questions, i use Windows XP Professional, no internet so no hot fixes update, Nero version 5.5.10.9 bundled, pc assembled by salesman, computer setup you means motherboard? it is Asus P4V533-MX-UAYZ, LITEON model LXR- 40243A , i have installed around one year ago, no problem burning cd-rw disks and re-read cd-rw disks sucessfully until maybe 3 months ago. recent i burn cd-rw so the problem is on cd-rw and it was okay when i burn cd-r disk some while back. while i can burn, it is okay, when it jam, i have to reset the pc. where is the cause and how to fix it?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Awfully difficult to guess what the problem is.

If I suggested you looked in the System (and Application) Event Log for error messages relating to the CD rewriter, would you know what I was talking about?

Similarly, would you be confident enough to ferret inside the system unit case, having powered down the PC AND pulled OUT the power cord AND touched the metal of the case to earth yourself, and carefully "push in" the plug(s) at the back of the CD rewriter, and the plug at the opposite end of what is probably a wide ribbon cable whose CD rewriter plug you just pushed in, where it plugs into the motherboard? Occasionally the dreaded "thermal creep" can cause these plugs to come out slightly and give an intermittent contact on some pins.

I'm amazed that your PC is not internet connected - I suppose you will be getting Service Pack 2 on CD...

Let us know how you get on!

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Sometimes you get a bunch of bad discs. Can you try with a fresh set? Also, in my limited experience with laptop CD/DVD drives, they do seem to be the weak link. Especially if you use them to play audio CDs, they can stop functioning correctly (or just die) within a year or two.

Added: One other thought. I use the Roxio software, and it lets you specify the burn speed (e.g., 10X, 16X). Try using a slower speed. When I chose mine, I had searched around on the web to try to learn what speeds were safe and which created "coasters." I understand with CD-RW discs that the media supports much lower speeds anyway (e.g., 4X seems common), so maybe this is not an issue.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi John, hi jscher2000, i just notice the speed selection to 4x or lower if there is in the speed selection box, i forgot if there is any and i just burnt one time cd-rw so far with no error with cautious on speed selection, i remember i pulled it down to lower speed and see how it goes for following cd-rw burning. i just burn cd-rw and re-read them quite maybe 3-5 times a week and after this i just use it for burn and re-read in cd-rom over pc. i will check the setting later and the technical stuffs i will consider last. bye. and THANKS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

hi John, hi jscher2000, i notice my cd-rw written one is 1X-12X and another is 4X-10X Compatible that is why i think the speed defaulted at 12X might be more than the cd-rw expected. somehow, i don't know how to interpret the both cd-rw speed requirement i mean where should the speed level be for both cd-rw, i have no clue. THANKS.

Thanks

Try less than the maximum. Can you choose 8X?