New Lounger
    Thanks

Tab Character (Access XP)

Hi All -

I am trying to insert a horizontal tab (not a dialog box or tab control), but a tab as in what you get when you hit the TAB key on the keyboard. When I use Chr$(9) all I get is a square character, both viewing and printing. The tab spacing would occur in a concatenation. I'm using Chr$(13) & Chr$(10) for a hard line break and this works fine so the concatenation is not balking with the Chr$(x). Do I need another combination as in the line break? All the ASCII tables I can find show Chr$(9) as the code for a horizontal tab. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Laura

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Tab Character (Access XP)

There are a list of miscellaneous contacts (that's what the help article i found calls them) in Access. One of them is vbTab. It says it's equivalent is chr(9).
    It may be that you need to use this rather than chr(9)
    A few others constants are:

vbCrLf Chr(13)+Chr(10) Carriage return

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, and thanks for your suggestion.
    Alas I am using the expression builder so when I type in vbTab, Access automatically puts square brackets around it and I get a parameter prompt when I run the report. I've tried using Chr(9) and Chr$(9) and I even tried the old standby of rebooting! To no avail, I still get a square character instead of the tab spacing. If all else fails, I'll just use the Space function.
    Regards,
    Laura

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Those are vbKey constants, not contacts. Each one represents an ASCII character producted by pressing a non-printing key.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Where are you doing the concatenation? If you are trying to create an expression as the control source for a control, concatenating the tab will always produce a square, which represents a non-printing character. The keys can be concatenated in code without this problem.
    Charlotte