New Lounger
    Thanks

USER's Switching Problem (XP SR PK 2)

I have been experiencing a real problem in WIN XP. This happened before I installed SV PK 2 so I don't believe it is an installation problem. I only have 2 "users" on my laptop XP opening page. Previously I was able to switch from one to the other with no problem. Lately, when I boot up and select a "user" it works fine. When I want to switch to another user I continually get 2 drop down screens which say 1) possible corrupt local profile, and 2) any changes made to the profile will not be saved upon log out. Both users have Admin Privileges. I originally had 5 user profiles to choose for each family member. I did delete 3 of those profiles since they rarely use the computer. The only procedure I must use to switch users is to log off the user and shut down the computer, then reboot and select the user . Using this method, both users come up when selected, so the "profiles" are there somewhere.
    When I go to the user profiles settings in my SYSTEM area of Cntrl Panel, I see numerous profiles of varying size. I have 5 backups ACCT Unknown 5.39 MB, 1.09 MB, 16.6 MB, 1.34 MB, and 26.3 MB. I also have 4 Laptop files, Admin 1.09 MB, Guest 1.09 MB, Owner 1.49 MB, and Wife 14.5 MB. Could the problem be fixed in this area by deletion or something else?
    This is very nerve wracking for myself and my wife because, once the "no profile" starts to load we must wait for a complete reload of "vanilla" programs BEFORE we can LOG OFF and then reboot.
    HELP if you can. !!!! I am ready for Looney Tunes Farm.
    pj

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: USER's Switching Problem (XP SR PK 2)

When you removed the 3 accounts did you also select to remove the related files?
    If NOT then the switch user routine may be finding the OLD files with are made every time a account is switched and can not find the related account.

What account names are listed under "Cocuments and Setting"?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Let me remind you what is "User Switching". It was an article about this in Woody's WIndows XP No.1 Vol.1 (2001), but I don't see it on Woody's website anymore, so forgive me a long quotation.

-------------------------
    User Switching Reality
    Anyone who has compared Microsoft promises to their computing reality will expect things aren't that simple with this nifty feature, and Microsoft hasn't changed that with Fast User Switching.
    To get the most out of Fast User Switching you need to understand what's happening. When you switch users, Windows is creating another instance (in geek lingo) or desktop on your computer. All the programs and settings of the first user are still running and are hidden away out of sight while another users programs are put up on the screen.
    On the Welcome screen you'll see a list of users and if there's a note under a user saying 'nn programs running' then that user has already started and is hidden.
    When you switch to a user who is not already setup and hidden away Windows will start the necessary programs and settings. This can take a little time. But once you've started the second user you can switch between them and because both users are already running in Windows (one visible and others hidden) that change should happen faster than if you logoff one user and login as another.
    Given the necessary limitations of Fast User Switching we suggest it only be used sparingly for short time use by a second person (i.e. to quickly check email or browse the web). Trying to use it more extensively is pushing the limits of your computer and programs.
    < ... >
    Now you know what's behind Fast User Switching you'll be able to understand some of the limitations that must be kept in mind:

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, thanks for the quick response. I did NOT remove any of the data files from any of the deleted users. I just deleted from the User Folder.
    What files must I delete or do I just delete the entire folder for each user which I deleted?
    pj

Super Moderator
    Thanks

See reply above from kaplinb.
    <hr>Close Computer Manager, open Windows Explorer, navigate to cocuments and Settings and delete all folders and subfolders with the names of accounts you deleted. Be careful doing so!
    <hr>

New Lounger
    Thanks

I did as you asked and when I got to Admin Tools>Computer Management(Local). At that point System Tools in the left pane did not contain any selection resembling Local Users and Groups or Users. Upon opening System Tools the contents were Event Viewer, Shared Folders, Performance Logs and Alerts, and Device Manager. Not sure what to do next.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You are using Home Edition. Because of that you don't have Users and Groups Manager (lusrmgr.msc) in your WindowsSystem32 folder. The only way to delete unwanted accounts is to do it from User Accounts (nusrmgr.cpl) in Control Panel. (To open it faster, click Start | Run, type the name of the file and hit Enter).

Once again - "ghost" accounts were created because your computer was shut down unexpectedly when two accounts was running. Avoid it to be happen again.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have already deleted the unwanted accounts from my User Accounts folder. This was my starting point when I submitted the problem. I do have a number of "user settings" remaining in my CONTROL PANEL>SYSTEM PROPERTIES>ADVANCED>User Profile Settings as I noted in my original message. Could these be the "ghosts" to which you are referring?
    Sorry for not mentioning that I was using HOME EDITION of XL. That would have eliminated your work in sending the original suggestive fix.
    Any other insight will be appreciated.
    pj

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, I still have not had any response from my last post. I appear to have been "dumped" still hanging on to my problem. Shall I just forget the issue or continue to pursue?
    pj

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Refresh us all, as to where you are at this time, i.e., what you have done and what you want to be the end result?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dave, Thanks for your prompt reply. I remain at "stage one" as explained in my first message. The replies after that referred to Win XP Pro while I have the home edition. I have not gone into registry to make any "fixes" because I am too much of a rookie in that area. I have used regedit once previously thanks to the "walk me through" messages from this site.
    I continue to experience the same results every time I attempt to switch between my sign on and my wifes. The only possible way to get to each others "original settings" is to reboot the pc and enter the user who wants to work in his/her area. Either me or my wife. All the settings are exactly as we had entered. BUT, when I try to switch users, which takes me to the opening Win screen EITHER user we select comes up with the "corrupt" profile screen followed by "any changes made will not be saved' screen.
    I also noted (my initial message) that I have numerous profiles in the SYSTEM>ADVANCED>USER PROFILE>SETTINGS area. It seems as though an Inordinate Amount of file space is allocated to my wife's profile in two areas. We are both administrators BUT her files are using 29.9 MB of resources and the backup file (PROFILE ????) is 26.3 MB !! My file resouces use 1.05MB as Administrator and 1.09MB as OWNER. I also have 2 "ACCOUNT UNKNOWN files using 16.6 MB and 26.3 MB.
    I did a print screen on the files as listed in my user settings. If I can paste it here it might display my dilemma. Otherwise I will send it as an email to you.
    All I am attempting to do is to permit either of us to "sign on" without constantly rebooting. I can't understand how we can get our profiles to work after a reboot and not able to do it without!!! Since either profile comes up after reboot demonstrates that our profiles are indeed available and correct.
    ALSO, I am using a laptop (HP) and do not possess a XIN XP disk to reinstall from which may find the "corrupt files" and correct the situation. I do have a disk from my desktop pc which I purchased to upgrade from WIN 98 2E.
    Please try to asimillate this "rambling" and ask more questions which I will answer.
    pj

Super Moderator
    Thanks

First of all, I will NOT use "switch user", as ALL files in use MUST be copied to the hard drive and then the new users files must be opened. This can take a LONG time if one has several programs running. I always log out as one user and then long in as another. I have found that this in fact is faster and I am lot as likely to lose any unsaved data.

As for the "User profile" area, these numbers include ALL files in the "Documents and Settings" folder including "My Documents" folders. She just may have MORE STUFF and larger files than you. See attachment, I have over 500MB.

Please post the screen dump of the different profiles, but be sure to trim it down to show ONLY what we need to see.

The CD for the desktop should NOT be used on the lap top. Tell us more about the laptop, make, model and etc.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I just found that out today by experimenting. If I log off one user and get to the Opening Win Screen I had luck all day in logging in to another users profile. I have been going back and forth most of the day just testing to see if it really works or not. Thanks for an OFFICIAL verification on the procedure along with an good explanation on why.
    As far as the user file is concerned, my wife rarely if ever uses the pc. Just for mail and a little shopping 2 or 3 times a week.
    Please give me the procedure to use for getting a trimmed down copy of the "screen dump". I was only able to get it by using "print screen" which gives me far more than needed and will not permit me to paste it anywhere except wordpad.
    I had no intention of using the WIN XP Home cd on another pc. Fully understand that Bill Gates does not permit more than one copy to be used in the home on several pcs as we were permitted to do in the good old days. As if he really needs the money.!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am using a HP Pavillion XZ295 Notebook . Pent 4 1.60 GHz, 512 RAM, 30 GB HardDrive, DDR SDRAM @ 266 mHz. That is all I know for sure. Not sure if that is what you were looking for.
    thanx,
    pj