4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Performance Slow on Network (2003 11.5614.5703)

I have a split database where I've put the back end on a network shared area. The performance is excruciatingly slow. The back-end database (shared tables) is not that huge (~6 MB; tables with several thousand records). A particular form takes about 2 minutes to load (menu selection to when form appears) and over 4 minutes to close (!). Granted, I do some processing in the Form_Open and Form_Close events, but nothing earthshaking (so I thought). I don't have explicit performance data on the network, but it seems to work just fine otherwise (moving large files, internet downloads/uploads, etc.) Here's the rub: When I move the back-end back to my local hard drive (and re-link accordingly), things behave very acceptably -- the form opens in 5 to 7 seconds and closes in about the same amount of time. (As is recommended practice, I believe, I have my "base" tables in the back-end database and all queries, forms,. reports, macros, temporary tables, links to the back-end tables, and code in the front -end.)

Are there some "gotchas" that one needs to avoid when putting a back-end database out on a network drive? Any general tips or guidelines would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Performance Slow on Network (2003 11.5614.5703)

Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Performance Slow on Network (2003 11.5614.5703)

Thanks Francois! Some of these are things I haven't done and ought to help. I'll report back with the "big hitters" just in case anyone's interested.