New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Bakcup (XP 2002 SP2)

Will MS XP backup device, backup a file that is open? DennisF

Thanks

Re: XP Bakcup (XP 2002 SP2)

I suspect it will depend on your definition of 'open'. If it is in use and therefore locked by some process, probably not - but there may be a way round that:

MSKB 104169: Files That Are Automatically Skipped by the Backup Program (NTBackup.exe) During the Backup and Restore Processes

BTW, a search through this forum will show that Windows native Backup software has severe limitations...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis

The fact that a file is open means that its content is "undefined", for backup purposes. Fairly sophisticated techniques have to be used by the major enterprise data backup companies (Veritas BackupExec, Legato Networker, etc) to be able, reliably and restorably, to back up open files for large servers. For example, St Bernard Software's "Open File Manager" costs several $$$s.

Our particular bugbear is people who leave Outlook open overnight, so their PST file is still "open", and so doesn't get backed up. This can cause unhappiness at a later stage...

Personally, for a workstation, I would treat ANY open file as not capable of being reliably restored -- and therefore what would be the point of even trying to back it up?

John

(~25 years of bitter and twisted data backup/restore experience...)
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your response to my XP backup question. I wonder if I close the file and backup on my computer but the file is open on my wife's computer (the only other computer on our network), will it backup on my computer?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis

Even if it does back up, which I doubt (and I fervently hope it won't!), the contents of the file may be being modified by your wife at the time of the backup, which would make me question the accuracy of a restore.

If you cannot <big>guarantee</big> the integrity of a file while it is being backed up, you most certainly cannot guarantee its integrity if restored. You may be "lucky" and/or the file may not be important. If it is important, then make sure of a clean backup... (Think of it as the file that holds your Bank Account data, perhaps).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear John:
    Thank you very much. I will treat it like a financial file.
    One other question if I may. Is it possible to get the viewing size of a file on the internet to default to "larger?" Mine alway defaults to "medium" at View/Text Size/Medium. Thank you. DennisF.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis

If you set the text size option as you suggest in IE, this works only if the author of the web page allows the sizes to be changed. If not, you're stuck with what s/he in her/his wisdom has decreed...

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

This depends on your browser, and you can find tips on our Internet Explorer and Other Browsers boards for your particular software and version.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, John

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, DennisF

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Dennis

A prerequisite to what i suggested, which might give a more "permanent" solution, would be to click on Tools => Internet Options, and on the (default) General tab, click at the bottom right on the Accessibility button. This gives you some Formatting options that you could tick, and then go and change the View => Text Size to your heart's consent.

John

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

As I understand it, if you use NTFS, a backup program can take advantage of XP's Volume Shadowing.
    I believe Dantz Retrospect will backup open files.
    For Win 2000, I'd have to get an add on to REtrospect, but it's native for Retrospect on Win XP.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Dear John: The accessibility change solution worked great without having to change text size so the small size chosen by the author of the web page doesn't matter. Thank you. DennisF