Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcuts in Outlook 2003 (2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1)

We were 'upgraded' to MS Office 2003 yesterday. I used the Outlook bar in the Office 2000 version to group all of my projects together (both local and public folders grouped together per project). Now, in Office 2003, I can create the groups and populate them with the shortcuts to the various folders, but when I turn Outlook off it's all gone upon restart. My IT guys have no idea what's wrong. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shortcuts in Outlook 2003 (2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1)

Ann, can you explain what kind of shortcuts, and how you are building them, in a bit more detail? For example, I'm not sure what you mean by "projects".

OL 2003 isn't as "Shortcut-friendly" as prior versions, for example see <!post=this thread,376120>this thread<!/post>. I also had trouble linking Shortcuts to specific Items in Public Folders, I had to create a link and copy it to my hard drive, then drag the link from the hard drive into the Shortcut Group Header, and I'm waiting for someone to show me a better way!
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Re: Shortcuts in Outlook 2003 (2003 (11.6359.6360)

In earlier versions of Outlook, the shortcuts on the Outlook bar were stored in a file with a name similar to ProfileName.FAV (as in "favorites"). The default location was Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook. Any chance this folder/location is not preserved under your network configuration?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

At the bottom of the sidebar in Outlook 2003 there are icons for "Mail All Folders", Tasks, Folder List, Shortcuts (these icons are editable in that you can change what's shown there). I selected the Shortcuts icon, which opens the sidebar to a list of my Shortcuts that survived the upgrade - not many.

In the Shortcut Sidebar there are two clickable phrases, Add New Group and Add New Shortcut. I make a group, specifically, Ravenswood (that's a power plant project I work on, projects to me are internal projects I need to keep track of). Then, right click on that group and select Add New Shortcut. The box comes up and I select the shortcut I want in that group, either from my personal folders, my inbox, or from public folders (this is a multinational corporation with hundreds of projects, I only need to track five or so, the public folders are populated from offices all over the world). I want the Project Mailbox, which is from Public Folders, my Sent folder from my own personal folders, the Project Contact List, the Project Calender, etc. in the group. The problem is I create my groups and populate them with shortcusts (populate them one by one, I might add, because there doesn't seem to be a way to multiple-select), and then, if I turn Outlook 2003 off, everything is gone when I restart Outlook. No groups, no shortcuts, nada, except for the pitiful few that survived the upgrade.

I need to know if I'm whistling in the wind here and should give it all up, forever to plow through hundreds of project folders to get to the info I need, or if there is a way to keep those shortcuts from startup to startup.

I've looked at the thread you mentioned, none of the shortcuts I want to keep are outside of my regular e-mail or public folders. No websites or documents, just e-mails. I definitely agree with the poster in that thread, though, Microsfot has made this so incredibly difficult it's virtually nonfunctional.

Ann

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just checked, and the folder/location is where it should be under Cocuments and SettingsusernameApplication DataMicrosoftOutlook.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

In 2003 I believe the FAV information gets embedded in the PST, but I can't find evidence on MSFT's website. I'm running 2003 Outlook Client on Exchange, I have about 5 shortcuts, and I don't have a FAV file.
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You are simply losing the shortcuts you create after you close Outlook down. Something is definitely wrong, I don't have that problem, and I haven't found your problem addressed on MSFT's KnowledgeBase. Are you running a PST?
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no idea if I'm 'running a .pst'. I know what .pst is, but how Outlook 2003 works is beyond me. I'm on a network, my mail comes to me through an Exchange server, that's also where all the public folders live. I'm going to give a link to this thread to our e-mail guru, he also is a lounger, maybe he can get more involved in this.

Ann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A Personal Storage File (PST) is where you save your messages if you want to move them off the Server. You can tell that you have a PST by opening File | Data Management and seeing if a *.pst is listed.

Also, have your guru see if any of the Outlook 03 Startup Switches might help, especially /cleanviews and /resetfolders. Also your guru should consider deleting and recreating your profile.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

File | Data Management tells me that I have one .pst for my New Personal Folders. Nothing else. Hopefully they'll look at this thread (I've sent them the link) and follow your suggestions. Thank you!

Edited to add it gets worse. I can't save any favorites from public folders to the Favorites folder at all. This is incredible. An 'upgrade' that has brought my productivity to a halt as far as handling the volumes of e-mail I handle a day. I'm at a loss as to how going to Outlook 2003 is any benefit at all.