4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spell Check Problem (Word 2003)

I was about to paste this when I saw that the previous message also related to a form of problem with spellcheck.

I've just discovered that my Spell checker isn't picking up errors in Word documents when I'm using one of my old Templates.

If I use F7, the spell checker runs and reports no errors.

If I copy and paste (unformatted) into a new document, I get the errors showing correctly as I'd expect.

On checking closer, I spotted that the "check spelling as you type" option is also not working. In reality, it probably is working, but the spell checker isn't picking up the mistakes.

I've checked the custom.dic file in case it had any errors. I then re-installed Office, but no difference. The Settings under Tools_Options_Spelling are the same in the dot file, as in my normal.dot.

I've tried creating a brand new dot file, saving it, then starting a new doc file from the template and that works OK.

Could this be because the problems are only happening with a dot file created in a different version (can't remember which) or am I doing something wrong, or missing the obvious solution as usual.

Colin

Thanks

Re: Spell Check Problem (Word 2003)

One other possibility is that the "do not check spelling" attribute has been applied directly to the text. If you select a misspelled word and look at Tools>Language>Set Language dialog, is the "Do not check spelling and grammar" checkbox ticked? (I'm looking at Word 2002, but I think it's the same idea in all recent versions.) This setting is like a virus that spreads through a document, and it often is best to select all and turn it off globally once you find any instance of it. Hope this helps!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spell Check Problem (Word 2003)

Spot on

I saw that message coming up, but couldn't find where to check or set it. Obviously I rather stupidly checked all the "Spelling" options since the problem related to spelling. I should have klnow to check under "Language"!!!!!!!!

Anyway, Thanks for not only the fact of the repsonse, but the speed of it as well.

Ta