2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2003?? (Win XP)

Hi gang,
    Few questions about 2003.

1) I want to install Office 2003 trial and keep my other versions (2000, XP) on my computer. I looked at the MS knowledge base and it seems that 2003 cannot coexist with any earlier version. Any backflip I can do to keep all versions on my pc?

2) How compatible are 2003 files with files created with earlier versions of office (upward and downward)?

3) Will macros created in 2000 run in 2003?

tks for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003?? (Win XP)

Outlook is the only Office program that can't coexist with earlier versions and that has been true all along. You can only run a single version of Outlook on a machine, but you can keep multiple versions of the rest of Office on the same machine. Several Office 2003 file formats have changed and the 2003 format is not backward compatible, although it can read earlier files.
    Charlotte

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office 2003?? (Win XP)

Hi Ms. JC

1/ Multiple versions: Microsoft do not recommend running multiple versions of Office though it can be done. Information about running multiple versions of Office with Office 2003 highlights some potential problems. There is one exception, you can only run 1 version of Outlook.

2/ Compatibility: Most document formats in Office 2003 are the same as those in Office XP, Office 2000, and Office 97 and are compatible with those versions. Access and Outlook have updated formats. For a comprehensive discussion into compatibility see Microsoft Office 2003 and File Sharing in a Heterogeneous Office Environment
    <UL><LI>Binary File formats for Excel 2003, PowerPoint 2003, and Word 2003 remain the same and are compatible with previous versions dating to Office 97.
    <LI>An Outlook Personal Folders file (.pst) can now be saved as a new binary format, which uses Unicode and increases the storage limit to approximately 20 gigabytes (GB). An Outlook 2003 .pst file is not compatible with previous versions of Outlook, but the old format is the default.
    <LI>Files in Access 2000 format can be opened in Access 2003. Access 2003 can work with the Access 2000 format but there is a new format introduced in Access 2002. Databases that use the new format can not be opened in Access 2000.[/list]3/ Macros: Most macros written on Office 2000 will be forward compatible with Office 2003 with no problems. Some will stop working and it is not always obvious why they do not work.