Star Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 -- Security Center (Windows XP - SP2)

I recently upgraded to SP2, and everything seems to be going reasonably well, with one odd glitch.

I've turned off the Windows Firewall, and every reboot I get a "Windows Security Alert" telling me that I have my Firewall turned off. Fine, no problem there.

When I click on the Alert and am taken to the Security Center panel, I then click on "Recommendations..." and select the option, "I have a firewall solution that I'll monitor myself. Note: Windows won't monitor your firewall status and won't send you alerts if it is off."

However, the Security Alert reappears every time I reboot. And every time, I re-check the box. And every time the Security Alert reappears. And every...well, okay, you get the idea.

Is this some glitch that I'll have to live with, or is it fixable. Or, am I not doing something correctly? Thanks very much

Thanks

Re: SP2 -- Security Center (Windows XP - SP2)

This seems to be a very common problem. I thought I had it solved by setting the "recommendations" for every user on my machine. Seemed to work for a few days, but then it reverted to its old behaviour. It seems to be a crap shoot as to whether or not the settings will stick. To my knowledge, the only workaround right now is to disable the Security Center service. You can still access the SC via the Control Panel, but if you disable the service, the annoying Security Alert won't reappear.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Thanks

If you go to Security Center>Resources and click "change the way Security Center Alerts me". then UN check firewall>"alert me if my computer might be at risk, etc,". This should work.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks

I've done that too Bob, and for whatever reason, it works on some systems and not on others - i.e. the specified settings do not stick - they are changed the next time the computer boots and the Security Alert reappears. There are many threads on this same topic in the MS Newsgroups, and the consensus seems to be that it is something that MS will have to fix. If the Security Center service is disabled, you can still use the Control Panel application to manage security settings for Internet Options, Windows Firewall and Automatic Updates. The only thing that changes is the notification, and that is exactly what most people who have this problem are trying to fix. It's working for me and for others who have posted in the MS Newsgroups.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I just tried the "Resource" suggestion and was hopeful, but it didn't hold on the first re-boot. I'll look into the other solution -- but honestly, it's more an annoying glitch when I reboot than a numbing problem. I can live with the glitch if need be. And since it appears to be a common problem, I assume that eventually it'll get a fix.

Thanks very much again.

Bob

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Came across this, would it be of help to anyone? http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/seccenteralert.htm

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> Came across this, would it be of help to anyone?
    > http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/seccenteralert.htm

Very belatedly, thanks for sending this. The reason for the delay is that I was having a hard disk problem and eventually replaced it, so I wanted to wait until I checked this out. (The tip tells how to change two settings in the Registry. ) Unfortunately, it didn't have any effect. I've tried it several times. The Security Warning continues to appear on boot-up.

Oddly, when I've gone back to check the Registry, after the boot-up and after the Security Warning reappears, it turns out each time that one of the settings has held, but the other one has reverted to its original setting.

Not a big deal. It's something to either leave alone or "click off" each time on boot-up, very livable. Just an annoyance. I suspect this will be dealt with in an eventual bug fix.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Bob

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Are you using two firewalls? Say Windows Firewall and Zone Alarm? That can cause conflicts. Note too Microsoft's ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) and Windows Firewall (ICF renamed in XP SP2) are woefully inadequate and should be replaced immediately. They only block unauthorized incoming access attempts. ZoneAlarm and Sygate block unauthorized incoming and outgoing access thus preventing Trojans, keyloggers, and other spyware that can and will make it past your other defenses from "phoning home" with your personal information such as your passwords, credit card numbers, etc. Do not use more than one software based firewall.

If you are not using a hardware based NAT router, you should. There are several offerings for under $50.00USD. Some offer dial-up support.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────