5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Floppy Drive not recognized

I am working on a computer that will not recognize a floppy drive. The OS is Windows XP Home edition. A floppy drive controller is listed in the Device Manager. I thought that the cable was loose - so unplugged the data cable from the drive and the mother board. Also disconnected and reconnected the power cable. No luck. So then I changed out the floppy drive. Still no luck. Then I pulled the old data cable and put in a new one. Still no luck. Then I tried an external floppy with a USB connector. Still no luck. What can be going on? Everything else is working fine.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: Floppy Drive not recognized

Hi trebor,

Could be that someone has disabled the floppy drive, either in Device Manager or in the BIOS.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Believe it or not, a lot of floppy drives and cables are not keyed - which means you can plug the cable into the back of the drive backwords. The telltale sign is the the drive light stays on all the time. No damage occurs, the drive just does not work. Try flipping it over.

That would not explain the USB version not working.

Have you installed the I/O drivers for the motherboard? A utilties disk should have come with the board that includes those drivers - or look on the manufactures web site.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I had a similar problem where my machine kept telling me the floppy wasn't formatted even though I had formatted several times. Turned out there was some sort of problem with either earthing or head alignment as I found that if I loosened the drive attachment screws the drive worked perfectly and continues to do so.

good luck
    cheers

Phil Carter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

You were right on. Went into BIOS and enabled the floppy and all is well. Thanks for the tip.