Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Slow IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.o40803-2158)

Hya guys - anyone got any ideas at all ?

Running WinXP Home SP2 on an Athlon XP1700 box with oodles of disk space. For some time now (including prior to installing SP2) IE6 has been so slow as to be totally unuseable. I've been using Mozilla 1.6 for ages as my only satisfactory means of using the web. Can't pinpoint when IE6 became slow - many months ago, and it's never been excitingly fast

After reading threads on other IE6 probs, I've run sfc/scannow then reinstalled SP2 but things are still as bad. Enter a URL in IE6 and it can take many minutes to reach the site (which it eventually does). Mozilla gets there in (sometimes) a second and is always acceptable speed whereas IE6 is always unseable speed.

If it's my IE6 settings, I'm blowed if I can spot where

Currently using 256k ADSL but it's the same on dial-up - Mozilla's fast, IE6 is unuseably slow.

Look forward to you pointing out where I've been a total duffer

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow IE6 (6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.o40803-21

Hi Bryan

There is an obscure IE setting that can slow IE down. Select "Tools>Internet Options..." and on the General tab click Accessibility. Make sure "Format documents using my stylesheet" is not selected (by default it should not be selected)

I also recommend scanning for any spyware/malware. See <post#=296439>post 296439</post#> for details.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Tony, but .... nope, all blanks on that page

I routinely use the onholy pair for spyware - Adaware and Spybot. I'll check your suggested link out as well thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've had exactly the same problem also for months! I've tried several solutions helpfully suggested by loungers, including all the spyware removers. When I fire up IE6 Task Manager instantly indicates that my CPU is 100% occupied. (It takes about five minutes for Task Manager to appear!)

In any case I prefer Firefox, so I've stopped using IE completely. Only found three sites that wouldn't accept it. One was a bank (not mine), one was a supplier of spare cooker parts, and the third a back street grocer shop in Exeter.

Pat

Lounger
    Thanks

mmm .... I don't have any resources/CPU problem when I open IE - it's just sllloooooooowwwwwwww to get to any web page

Maybe it's a "design feature" although I'm sure it used (in the dim and distant past) to be OK. Like yourself, I prefer alternatives but there are sometimes probs so it would be nice to be able to use IE6 when required.

Oh well - maybe I'll try deleting all bookmarks, cookies etc etc and see if that helps. No-one else seems to have any bright ideas (but thanks for the couple of suggestions so far)

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bryan:
    You might try cleaning out your history, deleting your cache (temporary internet files) & deleting & rebuilding index.dat. Depending on your settings, you may want to reduce the number of days that you keep history & the amount of disk space that you allocate to the cache (under Tools/Internet Options/General tab/Settings...; I use only 25MB, which is much more than needed).

Depending whether you're on dial-up, DSL, or cable, there are some tweaks that might help that are available at this site. However, please be sure that you read everything there before trying anything & know how to reverse any changes you make.

Lounger
    Thanks

Again, thanks.

I'm on a slowish ADSL (256) but it appears to be working fine (connection speeds nearly up to the full 256k) and e-mail & Mozilla's working like a dream so it ain't that side of things that's amiss - it's just IE6 that doesn't like me.

I've cleared all cookies (shucks - didn't want to do that but ...) Cleared cache, and reset to 25 Mb (tried various settings but all the same). Deleted all off-line content,, deleted all temp internet files, killed all helpers except the one or two I know and want, repaired IE6 (sfc/scannow and reinstalled SP2), history set to 0 days ..........

Completely run out of ideas

Using Mozilla all the time because of the prob but there are one or two or three sites where I can't ("you must be using IE5 or upwards ...".) so I can't get to those sites at all given my IE6 probs. Life's a bitch

Thanks

I don't know whether you have any anti-spyware programs that search for and/or remove Browser Helper Objects (BHOs), which are IE extensions. These might be implicated in IE's slowness, even if they are not malicious (and of course any malicious ones should be removed).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You didn't mention whether you deleted index.dat. I have Win 98, so I boot to DOS & delete it there. But there must be a way to delete it in Win XP.

Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Phil Rabichow to make the link clickable - see Help #19
    I've used BHODemon (http://www.DefinitiveSolutions.com ) and killed everything I wasn't really familiar and comfortable with (leaving only a couple that BHODemon was happy with) but to no avail - still as slow as an olympian snail swimming in tar

Lounger
    Thanks

Hya Phil

had some probs deleting cookies index.dat but finally used Index.Dat suite from www.it-mate.co.uk and (if it worked) killed every index.dat file it could find (blindly assuming XP would recreate them if it wanted/needed to)

However - still so slow as to be totally unuseable

Strange thing, though - Windows Update via XP seems to be OK-ish (I presume this uses IE as its interface). All other sites atrocious

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bryan:
    First of all, I did not mean for you to delete EVERY index.dat file you could find. I hope this doesn't destroy some usefulness of some other utility that uses an index.dat. I have Win98, so your system is somewhat different, but my index.dat files for IE are in:
    C:WINDOWSLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5index.dat
    C:WINDOWSCookiesindex.dat
    C:WINDOWSApplication DataMicrosoftInternet ExplorerUserDataindex.dat

In any event, you say Windows Update seems to work OK. What happens if you load Windows Update manually through IE.?

Recapping:
    1. You've checked BHOs.
    2. You've checked for viruses & spyware.
    3. You've deleted history, TIF, & index.dat.
    4. You've checked for settings & speed tips at http://www.speedguide.net/

I wonder if you have some weird setting. If you go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab:
    1. Click Settings. Is a proxy checked where it shouldn't be (or vice versa)?
    2. Is Automatically detect settings checked?
    3. Is "Dial whenever a network connection is not present checked?
    4. Is "Perform security check before dialing UNchecked?
    5. In your registry, is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesC lassNet0002 TunnelMode set to 1 or non existent?

Right now I can't think of anything else.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hya again, Phil

To answer most of your questions I'll have to get to my home machine (over the weekend) but yes, I deleted all the index.dats - if there's something that doesn't work I'll remove it and reload (nothing on the offending box is pirated etc and I've got all the installation copies)

Your recap : BHOs checked with BHODemon
    Viruses (?viri?) constantly checked with AVG plus occasional free checks from Symatec etc
    Spyware regularly checked with Spybot & Adaware
    History, Temp Internet Files and index.dat deleted (index.dat using index.dat suite)
    Haven't changed any dsl settings with info from speedguide - isp's speed checker looks good, Mozilla flies, e-mail flies so I'm
    loathe to muck about with anything (if it ain't broke .....)

I'll take a re-look at the others over the weekend but I'm confident I've got no strange settings in those IE6 setting areas. As for the registry entry ..... I really will have to look. What is it ??

My feeling (wrong attitude !!) is that it's an IE6 prob specifically, as everything else net-wise is doing fine

I'll post findings tonight/tomorrow

Bry

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slow IE6 (6..2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.o40803-21

One other thing that I just thought of. Reboot & take a look at what processes are running. Kill all running processes except the minimal ones (presumably Windows Explorer & your DSL connection, although you might need something like a special mouse driver). Don't even load your anti-virus or firewall. Then, just see if you can browse a couple of safe sites (like some pages at WOPR) with IE.

If that helps, add your processes back one at a time & see what happens. If none of this works, you might just reinstall IE.

Lounger
    Thanks

OK Phil : the remaining questions :

I wonder if you have some weird setting. If you go to Tools/Internet Options/Connections tab:
    1. Click Settings. Is a proxy checked where it shouldn't be (or vice versa)? Nope
    2. Is Automatically detect settings checked? Nope
    3. Is "Dial whenever a network connection is not present checked? Nope
    4. Is "Perform security check before dialing UNchecked? Can't see this Setting
    5. In your registry, is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesC lassNet0002 TunnelMode set to 1 or non existent? Can't find this reg entry - there's no HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESystemCurrentControlSetServicesC lass entries at all (Class doesn't exist - should it ??)

Windows Update Site - about 2.30 mins to reach the site, and a further minute for it to find no updates. The search for updates is probably similar to using Help & Support centre route but it's the time to get there manually that's the problem. Mozilla got to the site within 2 secs ("You need to be running IE5 or higher ..")

My ISP on Mozilla - 6 secs. On IE6 - 58 secs
    Google search for LaPortaVerde web site : Mozilla <2 secs IE6 still waiting after 5 minutes (give up)
    My on-line banking : Mozilla <1 sec IE6 tries but fails to connect after around 5 minutes

Aaggghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast