New Lounger
    Thanks

Renaming a chart

Must be an easy one ... in Excel 2000, how do you change the name of a chart from the user interface, or do you have to use VBA?

MS Knowledgebase purports to explain but it mistakenly refers to the chart title, not the name.

TIA

Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Renaming a chart

I think you have to use VBA, there does not appear to any other method. If you select the chart you can see the name in the Name Box but you cannot edit it. However, if you are not using VBA, does the name matter, as you can give it a title.

Andrew C

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, you can change the name of an embedded chart by selecting a worksheet cell first, so that the chart is not selected. Then select the chart by holding down the CTRL-key and clicking the chart. This selects the chartobject, rather than the chart. You now will see the name of the chart appearing in the textbox left to the formula bar. You can change it here, if you want. Notice also, that you now see white boxes at each corner of the embedded chart. If you select the chart, rather than the chartobject, you will see black boxes. You can only give a name to the chartobject, not to the chart.
    The same applies for VBA. Just do the thing above while recording a macro and you will see how you can change the name of the chartobject in VBA.

Hope this helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Excellent, I think this will do what I wanted ... ultimately I am going to write some code which will automate the import of tables and charts into a Word document and want to use the chart name to cross-ref to a bookmark.

I will probably ask some more questions when it doesn't work [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Paul