Thread: Win98 SE

Star Lounger
    Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Win98 SE

I have an old Pentium 1 266 MHz PC running Win98 1st edition. I would like to upgrade it to Win98SE.

1. With the original licence can I install Win98SE like the WinXP SP2??
    2. I have a Win98SE CD, but am unable to upgrade the Win98 OS. It gives a message saying to get a "Win98 Upgrade"
    3. Can I download a copy of Win98 SE upgrade from the Internet?
    4. Alternatively where can I get Win98 SE upgrade

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win98 SE

1. With the original licence can I install Win98SE like the WinXP SP2??

I don't believe so. My recollection is that Second Edition was sold separately, but I could be wrong.

2. I have a Win98SE CD, but am unable to upgrade the Win98 OS. It gives a message saying to get a "Win98 Upgrade"

If this is a full-fledged (i.e. legitimate) OS disk, it should allow installation. What does the disk look like and how did you proceed with the attempt to install?

Edited to add: I just remembered that there were TWO versions of Win98SE - the upgrade version and the full-install version. Which is yours?

3. Can I download a copy of Win98 SE upgrade from the Internet?
    4. Alternatively where can I get Win98 SE upgrade

I didn't take the time to look to see if it's still available, pending your answer to the previous question.

Edit here too: I did find that it's available for purchase, but I don't think you want to spend the money if you already have a copy.

Star Lounger
    Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Al

The CD I have is the Win98 SE OEM CD full-install version lent by a friend. THis was lent on the understanding that they are both Win98 and there is no cost in upgrading. Where can I find out for sure if your redcollection is correct, or if I can freely upgrade to SE without buying an upgrade licence.

All this headache because I want to run Acrobat and could only buy Acrobat 6 not 5, but it requires Win98SE or later. If I could have installed Acrobat 5, there would be no need to upgrade!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm sorry I can't answer your question more specifically, Grant, but perhaps another Lounger will jump in here and confirm my understanding. I think Win98SE was a "new" purchase, rather than an upgrade like a service pack. If that understanding is correct, you would be violating the license to install your friend's copy. There are places on the web that still sell Win98SE for a price in the $50-60 (US) range. I also don't remember what one has to do to get the "full install" disk to install over-the-top of the original Win98, so I'm barking up an empty tree here. I hope someone will jump in and be able to advise you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Grant:
    If you have Win 98 & wish to upgrade to Win 98SE, you need to purchase an upgrade edition. The license doesn't allow you to use a friends CD. I started with an OEM Win 98 OS & then purchased the upgrade CD for Win 98SE.