New Lounger
    Thanks

Also need to format (Win XP Pro)

I need to format and have also done it on 9x several times. But on my PC, on the check which OS you want to use window, it shows 2 instances of Win XP. Does that mean I have Win XP installed twice? Also , my system is NTFS. Can I reformat and how do I do it? And how do I get the drivers?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Also need to format (Win XP Pro)

I am not quite sure what you mean by "on the check which OS you want to use window". What do you do to make that window appear?

If this is during the boot sequence then you have multiple entries in BOOT.INI, which may be pointing to two installations of Windows, but could both be pointing to the same installation. Can you try the following steps and paste the output into a post so we can see your BOOT.INI.
    1. <LI>Right click My Computer
      <LI>Choose Properties
      <LI>Select the Advanced tab
      <LI>Click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery section
      <LI>Click the edit button near the top right
      <LI>This will open BOOT.INI in a notepad window
      <LI>Select all the text and COPY
      <LI>Paste it into a post
      <LI>Close notepad without saving any changes
    Here is the contents of my BOOT.INI as an example for you
    <pre>[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)WINDOWS="Window s XP" /fastdetect
    </pre>

StuartR

Thanks

If you are using the XP CD to format, it sounds like you are trying to do a repair install rather than a new or clean install. In the repair mode it will ask you what OS you want to repair and as Stuart pointed out, you may have an aborted install listed.
    Try it again and make sure you use the new install option.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

New Lounger
    Thanks

[boot loader]
    timeout=0
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Micros oft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    signature(a3c0a3c0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WIND OWS2="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have performed an Upgrade 2X and a Clean Install. Each time it was done in a different way, but not by my choice. This was how the PC chose. But I always wind up with all the old stuff still on my PC. What I want to do is erase all the old files and start fresh. I have 4 users on here, all of them a form of me. A default user appeared at the last Recovery. And of course All Users. I have Windows and Windows2 and all of my folders became Folder2. Needless to say, I have a hard time finding things. I know I did something wrong, but even after reading a couple of manuals and searching the KB, I can't seem to be able to FORMAT.

Thanks

Do you have a WIn 98 or another Windows boot floppy or CD?
    You can boot to DOS and use any FDISK to blow away the partitions and then use the format command to reformat.
    It doesn't have to be a Windows XP boot disk to do this.

You can also check out MS site on this subject, that has a step by step procedure.

Go to:FORMAT
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your BOOT.INI shows that you have two installations of Windows XP, both on the same partition. One installation is in the Windows folder and the other is in a folder called Windows2. The default boot is to the Windows version.

Answers to your other questions...

The easiest way to reformat is to boot your Windows XP installation CD and allow windows to reformat the partition during a clean installation.
    I'm not sure what drivers you need to "get". But if you have a SCSI or RAID controller for your boot disk then you must get the drivers for this on a floppy disk, or other removal media and provide them at the appropriate time during the installation.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

First, make sure you have everything you want backed up. Change your BIOS to read from the CD-ROM first, floppy 2nd, then hard drive. Restart computer, then you will see a screen that says click any key to boot from cd. Then the pc will start doing it's thing. You will choose (when prompted) to do a clean install. Choose quick NTFS. If your pc did what mine did, when you get to a screen that says what partition do you want to format, there will be 1 that says unformatted (mine was about 24 mb, fat32) and the other NTFS and the bits left on the c: drive. Click on the unpartitioned one to partition it. I had to do it twice (why? dunno.) After I did this, it didnt ask me what OS I wanted to use. Next click on the c: drive to format it. After it restartes, dont click any key to boot from cd, let it go and it will continue. The drivers found themselves(modem, etc.) That part was really nice from 9x. You will have to put printer drivers on, but you have the disks (I hope). That was what I had to do. I hope it helps. This website really helped me out alot. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_sg_clean.asp

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I know that everyone says the floppy disk is going to be extinct in the near future, but I hope not! I ALWAYS do clean installs of an OS, preparation of a new hard drive, and re-do's like you're trying to do by starting with a customized Win98SE boot floppy that I made for myself several years ago. I created it from within Win98SE and then made sure that all the files I would need, like FDISK, etc. were added to the disk. It also has a CD driver called in the Config.Sys and Autoexec.Bat and this boot disk has never failed me yet! You could pay a visit to BootDisk.Com and drill down to where you can download a Win98SE boot disk. I've never used one from them, so I don't know if it will have such utilities on it as FDISK, but it's worth a shot.

If you go the route of booting from your CD, you just need to be aware of and make sure that the entire drive gets used for your new install and you don't get yet a third install along with the two you already have.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Al,
    Have you tried your boot disks on a NTFS system?
    This just may change your methods.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

C'mon Dave, you KNOW I know better. Remember, I'm talking about "starting fresh" meaning a clean sweep of a hard drive. Win98SE also has the advantage of being able to handle somewhat larger disks than 32 gig or whatever the number is. THEN, after this preparation period, one can and should install the OS, either FAT32 or NTFS by booting from the OS's CD and choosing how you want to go. Doing the prep work with a Win98SE boot floppy has a few advantages...

If one wants to start from ground zero, with a Win98SE boot floppy, you run FDISK, delete whatever partitions are there and THEN partition the drive as desired.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just wanted to thank all of you for all the info. You are all gods in my book. I am going to try the format one of these ways and will let you know what happens.