New Lounger
    Thanks

Word 2003 is S*L*O*W (Word 2003)

For some reason, Word 2003 has always been extremely S*L*O*W on my system. Word '02/XP was reasonable, and if worse comes to worst I can go back to it, but I'd rather not. I've always deleted the icons placed in my StartUp folder whenever I've installed any version of Office. Word takes a good 30 seconds to start and nearly that amount of time to shut down. WOPR does seem to slow down Word a little, but not much. Opening a file takes something like 10 seconds. At one point not too long ago I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled everything, mostly to solve other problems. The other problems were solved but this one was not.

I'm running a 1.6 GHz P4 with 512mb RAM, a Maxtor 7200rpm hard drive and an ATI Radeon 7000 video card. I'm about to upgrade to a new motherboard with a 3.0 GHz (Prescott) P4 so that may help (I've got all the parts and just have to find time to assemble them).

Can anyone help me speed up this puppy?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word 2003 is S*L*O*W (Word 2003)

Hi Erik:
    Check to see if you have Norton Anti Virus plug-in installed. There are other add-ins that might slow Word down. Make sure Journaling is turned off in Outlook. Take a look at <post#=360055>post 360055</post#> & the suggestions in that thread regarding the same problem. If none of those suggestions work, I would do a search in the Word forum for the word "slow".
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil! Running "winword.exe /a" fixes the problem, but removing the files from the Office Startup folder does not help. I do think that the Norton AntiVirus plug-in is the culprit because the status bar says something about virus scanning when I start Word, and the message stays there a loooong time. How do I disable the Norton plug-in?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Erik:
    I forgot that... the Nortion Anti virus plug-in should have been the first thing to check. Sorry about that. See <post#=375067>post 375067</post#> by HansV for disabling the Norton plug-in.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil. I'd been having some problems with NAV which would crash whenever I tried to access the "Miscellaneous" settings. I got that settled (a conflict with another utility) and was able to disable that plug-in. That helped. The thing that really fixed the problem, though, was deleting normal.dot. Duh.

Anyway thanks for your help. I've learned a lot about Word in this process and I appreciate it.