Lounger
    Thanks

Create a Boot Disk (Win xp home )

Edited by <!profile=StuartR>StuartR<!/profile> to make link active by adding <!t><!/t> and <!t><!/t> tags. See <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>

Windows xp home was installed on my Hp when I bought it. It didn't come with an installation CD. So I need to make a startup disk or boot disk before I install service pack 2. www.bootdisk.com explains one way is Setup disks for Floppy Boot Install. The windows xp startup disk will automatically load the correct drivers to gain access to the CD-Rom drive and start a new installation of Setup. And requires 6 Disks for this. The other is at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...p;Product=winxp and tells me to go to the root folder and copy the files WELL where is that? I need some help. Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Create a Boot Disk (Win xp home )

The knowledge base article you refer to says "...the root folder of the system partition of your hard disk drive (for example, C: ...) "

If you have installed Windows on the C drive, then you will find the files in C: but, as the article mentions these files are marked as Hidden, System and Read-Only, so you will not be able to see them unless you have set your computer up to show hidden system files. You can set this from Windows Explorer by setting Tools > Folder Options > View > Show Hidden Files and Folders, and clearing Hide protected operating system files (recommended).

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If this system came with a CD and.or DVD burner you should be able to burn a set of CD's. Check your "Help and Support" for burning System disks and burn them NOW. If you can NOT find the info call HP.

I have helped to install several HPs, and there is a way, I just do NOT remember where the links are to do it.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Some consumer complaints aren't worth the hassle, and others are. HP is rumoured to have a lot of customers, and the cost of supplying an installation CD with a new computer is peanuts. I have two HP printers and an HP DVD writer, and all came with installation CDs and paper samples and ink cartridges and blank DVDs. I find it hard to believe that they didn't supply an installation CD and even harder to believe that they'd charge $40 to provide one.
    I suggest you test your diplomatic skills and get in touch with their customer relations people.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The last consumer HP system I bought came with a CD burner and a utility to create the CDs.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide or 1-Click TagPanel.

I created the Boot disk with your help, Thanks. Now I need the reinstall disk. I went to this web site And tried to download the Windows xp home edition utility: Setup disks for Floppy Boot install. The instructions said to Click Open and it will prompt you to provide 6 disks. But when I clicked open everything disappeared. I found it in Temporary files But it was only 1.36 KB It's supposed to be 4284 KB. Can it be burned from the Temporary Internet files? But I don't think it is complete. Otherwise HP said they would sell me one for about $40 bucks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I tried your link and the download is in fact 4,284K so your try probably got corrupted during the download. You might want to try again. (I don't have XP Home, so I didn't try to execute the downloaded file)

Thanks

Nellie:

<hr>So I need to make a startup disk or boot disk before I install service pack 2.<hr>

I'm really puzzled. Notwithstanding the merits of having a start-up disk such as bigaldoc's Win98SE boot disk, why do you feel you need one in order to install SP2?

Cheers,
    Regards,
    PaulB

Lounger
    Thanks

I made a boot disk and contacted Microsoft hot line for help in installing sp2 and was told I should have the Recovery Disk for security before I begin. Because some people are having serious problems. So I guess I will have to buy one.