Los Angeles, California, USA

Replicating WordPerfect's pauses (Word 2002 SP-2)

WordPerfect's macro language includes a Pause command that pauses the macro (often within a loop) and resumes execution when the user hits a particular key (or key-combination). So, to take a simple example, you can create a looping macro that allows the user to move through a long list and create a 2nd list with only selected items from the original list by hitting Ctrl-Enter while the cursor is located on each item to be copied to the 2nd list. There's no dialog box involved.

I don't think I can exactly replicate this in Word, but I'd like to find the best alternative. One possibility (that I haven't yet tried) might be a VBA macro that (1) assigns a 2nd macro (that actually performs the relevant copy or whatever) to Ctrl-Enter, (2) puts a small modeless UserForm in one corner of the screen with nothing but a Cancel button, and (3) returns the Ctrl-Enter key to its original assignment after the user cancels the UserForm.

I'd be interested in hearing how other Loungers have handled this kind of situation.

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: Replicating WordPerfect's pauses (Word 2002 SP

Non-modal UserForm and Toolbar are the only things that come to mind.

Super Moderator
    Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Re: Replicating WordPerfect's pauses (Word 2002 SP-2)

Hmm - that sounds like good functionality but I can't think of a similar method in Word.

Two things come to mind to perform the task you described.
    1. Use the Spike to store incremental text. Spike is a built-in autotext entry that can grow every time you append to spike and is emptied when used.
    2. Select multiple lines at once to copy with discontinuous selections
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia