New Lounger

Outlook 2002 ((10.4219.6626) SP3)

2 weeks ago I felt that my Outlook 2002 was running slowly. I (apparently foolishly) clicked on HELP and activated "Detect and Repair". Things got complicated when I was instructed to import contacts and I chose to flee the scene of the crime. I now believe I have a duplicate version of Outlook running along with my initial version. I initiated a System Restore but no benefit. Anybody know what I may have done?

Uranium Lounger
    Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Re: Outlook 2002 ((10.4219.6626) SP3)

Outlook isn't going to start two instances of itself unless you tell it to either manually or in the Start menu. You can tell by opening up task manager (Alt-Ctrl-Delete) and seeing which applications are running. Slow performance can result from many causes including Anti-virus software, other background applications, server performance, etc. Detect and repair should not cause problems unless there is something seriously out of kilter.

It would help to know more. Are you running standalone or through Exchange Server? If standalone what connection type? How large is your PST if you have one? How many files are in your default Inbox folder and default Sent folder?

You may have created a second Personal Storage Folder; you can tell by looking at the number of PST files under File | Data File Management.

For maintenance purposes, I recommend that you close Outlook and all Outlook windows, and then run "scanpst.exe", also known as the "Inbox Repair Tool" on your PST.

Post back with more specifics, and see if scanpst.exe helps.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS