Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

SP2 and Recovery Console (SP2)

I appeared to be having problems with a computer to which I had applied SP2, so I decided to install the Recovery Console from the original (upgrade) CD. When I attempted it, I received the message that I was applying files that were out of date, so I discontinued my attempt.

I had previously attempted to apply SP2 to a different computer that had Recovery Console already installed, and the outcome was a frozen computer. Fortunately I was able to restore it successfully, but it won't take SP2, and after three tries I've given up on that one.

Does anyone have experience or information to share on this subject?

Thanks

Re: SP2 and Recovery Console (SP2)

Check out this MS article on SP2 & the recovery console.

Go to:RECOVERY
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

On computer #1 I didn't want Recovery Console to uninstall SP2. A utility reported that I have disk errors, and I wanted to be able to run CHKDSK /R, which seems the most reliable way to fix them, but the utility's own disk repair may be sufficient or superior. SP2 itself is fine, but I wondered why I couldn't install Recovery Console.

Computer #2 froze three times when I installed SP2 from the full installation file, and I successfully rolled it back by using System Restore in Safe Mode each time. I have decided to postpone installation on that computer to see if Microsoft makes any refinements to the automatic update, or at least to try the automatic method, since I was using the full file before. I also keep checking for program updates and running clean-up programs, in case something on the drive is causing trouble.

Thank you for the link, it may prove useful.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Computer #1 - why not install the recovery console anyway? Then just re-apply SP-2.

Computer #2 - Need more information. At what point in the process did the machine 'freeze'?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Computer #1 - If it ain't broke why fix it? I'm happy to have SP2 successfully installed, and as reported above, I get an error message if I try to install Recovery Console from the CD now that SP2 is installed.

Computer #2 - I have now installed SP2 for the fourth time, and this appears to be the best of the lot but the problem is the same. Everything looks normal, and control panel reports that the version is SP2. It took forever to boot, and it takes almost all programs forever both to load and to shut down, yet all of them run very fast in Safe Mode, subject to the limitations imposed by
    Safe Mode. Everything 'works' in normal mode - it just takes forever.

Administrator
    Thanks

Computer #1 - you don't need the recovery console to run chkdsk. Just right click the drive, select properties | Tools, press Check now and select the options you wish. It will start and if the drive can not be checked immediately you will be given the option to check it at the next boot.

Computer #2 - Have you done a full A/V scan? A spyware scan? Have you used task manage to see what is 'hogging' the machine?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Computer #1 - That is true only if you are in Windows to begin with. Recovery Console is necessary if you can't boot to Windows.

Computer #2 - Yes to all, and all of the numbers displayed in Task Manager look to be reasonable. CPU usage is 0 most of the time and up to 8%, Page File History (which is Greek to me) 178 MB, 52 processes are running with explorer.exe hogging the most usage at 30,688 K, which I think is normal.

Once a program is started it behaves normally. The exception at the moment is getting online, which I don't seem able to do in this session, so I'll shut down and try again. My impression is that simply using the programs, or at least loading them and unloading them, is gradually reducing these very long delays, but I had no such trouble with the other two computers.

Administrator
    Thanks

Computer #1 - can you boot the PC or not?

Computer #2 - Try to delete eveything from C:windowsprefetch. XP uses this to help speed up the boot process. After XP2 most of the information is not good and needs to be rebuilt. After emptying the folder, boot several times in the next few days so XP can recreate the information. That should help the boot process. See <post#=407820>post 407820</post#> for links to some startup control utilities that may help.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Computer #1 - Has been all right since shortly after I installed SP2. I just used the disk repair tool in my utilities suite and it repaired the disk. I did, however, attempt to install Recovery Console and because of the error message I wondered if the original Recovery Console was now completely invalid and if Microsoft had provided a replacement. I still don't know the answer, but the question is academic.

Computer #2 - Is now restored it to SP-1 for the fourth time, but your suggestion about emptying the Prefetch folder sounds correct for a normal setup. The user in the thread you referred to was complaining about a delay of minutes. I started the computer last night and had a screenful of shortcuts within minutes, but the computer sat there for two hours without getting any further so I shut it down by pushing the power button. Two attempts at that with similar results was more than enough.

You may be interested to know that the way I restored it, all four times successfully, was by starting in Safe Mode and running System Restore, which had it back to SP1 within ten minutes or so. The Automatic Recovery may work perfectly, but I had already tried this before knowing about the other. Everything is running smoothly and everything is up to date. Only SP2 is missing.

Thanks for the help, Peter

Administrator
    Thanks

Computer #1 - If you slipstream SP-2, that would update the Recovery Console if needed. You should then be able to install the Recovery Console. Plus, you'd have a consolidated CD for any future installs or re-installs See Slipstreaming Windows XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2) for directions.

Computer #2 - There's lots of information on SP-2 at Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) Support Center which may help firue out what is happening.

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Computers ALL - I haven't had a chance to go through this in detail yet, but your slipstreaming tip sounds superb, and I may have a lead on the source of the trouble with computer #2, although I didn't spot it in the support center.

Computer #2 - The tip-off is that even though everything was smooth as silk when I reverted to SR1 at first, I ran into similar problems, apparently as part of the boot sequence. I suspect, tentatively, that the problem is with McAfee anti-virus, which is tailored to the latest security regime but not to my computer's configuration. In other words, it checks every six hours or some such thing to see if there's an updated signature, provided you have a continuous connection. I did, for all practical purposes, when I set it up, but I no longer do. I suspect that it tries to check with home base at boot to see if I need an update, when in fact I'm not online.

Anyway, that's something I'm looking into at the moment, since the no-show and giant holdup appears to be the icon to indicate that McAfee is running. It's a configuration matter, but it may be simplest to uninstall McAfee and see how a reinstalled SR2 goes, and if that works then reinstall it, while taking care with the configuration. I should be checking with McAfee on that, but it's part of this thread so I'll include it here.

Troubleshooting is horribly time-consuming, setup after setup, so if anyone can shed light on that possibility it would be welcome.