New Lounger

upgrade password for Word version (older word versions)

Hey everyone,

The security level for securing passwords provided by oIder version of word isn't all that. I know that it is possible to secure MS Word (XP, 2003) passwords using encryption.
    My question is: Are there any programs, add-ons or patches that upgrade the security provided by older versions of MS Word to the level of the newer versions.

Thanx in advance for replying,

Silicon Valley, USA

Re: upgrade password for Word version (older word

Word 97 and Word 2000 did use a kind of encryption when you assigned a "password to open". It is a middleweight type of encryption that is breakable by brute force in a reasonable amount of time for a typical length password. There are products for sale on the web to do just that. But if you don't have a cracking tool, you'll find the file to be gibberish.

I'm not aware of any way to retrofit Word's built-in password protection with a new algorithm prior to Word 2002. Typically people have used external means to do this (e.g., save and close the file, and then encrypt it using something like free PGP symmetric encryption). But a web search might turn up integrated options I've never heard of...