New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Explorer - file colours and extension case (All)

Why should the file names displayed in Explorer running on XP on a colleagues machine appear roughly 50% in blue 50% in black?
    Also anyone any idea why some files have uppercase extensions some lower or mixed case? There no obvious connection with time/date of creation or software used?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Explorer - file colours and extension case

Hi Paul & welcome to the Lounge

Files on an NTFS file system can be displayed in different colours if they have been compressed or encrypted. Those displayed in blue indicate that the file has been compressed and files in green are usually encrypted. Files that are displayed in black are neither encrypted nor compressed.

To check if this is the case right click on a file and select properties. On the General tab click the advanced button for info on whether the file has been compressed or encrypted.

As for the mixture of upper & lower case, I will pass on that one (hopefully somebody else will have the answer)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Explorer - file colours and extension case

Yippee! I get the easy one!

I used a Command Prompt window and the ECHO command to create the three files you see here:<pre>15/09/2004 17:16 3 lower.lwr
    15/09/2004 17:16 3 MiXeD.mIx
    15/09/2004 17:16 3 UPPER.UPR</pre>

exactly as typed.

So I would suggest that it is a function of the program which created the files what case it gives.

The Explorer view of the same files is attached as a graphic.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...