5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Passing a value to an INCLUDE page

<font color=4682b4>PROBLEM SOLVED. Used Cookies to pass the data. Now it worketh.</font color=4682b4>

This doesn't seem to want to work. I have a page for generating HTML bases on a db query and need to call up the page as an INCLUDE to get it to display properly in my webform. Is it in fact possible to pass a variable to an INCLUDE page? the statement

< !--#INCLUDE FILE="Intake_Research.asp?EditedProviderID=10"-- >

Doesn't work as the server is trying to find a file named <font face="Georgia">Intake_Research.asp?EditedProviderI D=10</font face=georgia>

Any ideas?

Basically I am trying to generate HTML output from a db query and include the output into a special textarea field.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Passing a value to an INCLUDE page

I think an alternative way to do this would be to use a bit of javascript. In the page you are pushing the include into you could have the Javascript code declare the variable, assign it the value, and pointing it to the textarea. The processing (insertion of the text into the textarea) would then be done client side. In the parent document something like this:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript">
    var MyText="<%your bit of text inserted server side with asp%>"
    document.myform.myID.value=MyText
    </script>

And then in the include document you will need to assign an ID to the textarea field:

<form name="myform">
    <textarea name="myID"></textarea>
    </form>

With this set up the page would be assembled server side, then passed to the browser where the javascript would run and put the text into the textarea.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the suggestion -- but, not willing to fix something that isn't broken, I'll leave well enough alone. some comments, tho:

1. SQL Server tends to insist that you explicitly query memo field information, so it's not that bad to have a small asp page that captures each of these memo fields (which is what I did in order to set up a page to include in the textarea).
    2. My design framework requires that all the webform element names are exactly the same as the column name they map to in the db, so I don't have much flexibility with the textarea names.

I don't, BTW, think my solution is all that elegant -- it's a bit krufty as I am using cookies to hand var values over to fire the SQL when building the INCLUDE pages. I am overwriting the cookie each time the page reloads but I'm probably abusing the intention of include pages and cookies. Of course, if I were Microsoft, I could claim to be demonstrating innovation...

Lounger
    Thanks

No problem. I just thought it was worth suggesting an alternative.

Sometimes I've found myself strungling to tweak a solution to work when someone suggests a completely different way of attacking the problem and by changing track completely I've solve the problem much quicker.