3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Office Updates (Office 2003)

I have been using Office 2003 since it became available. One small aspect I liked (and there are areas of dislike) was that I never needed to use my original CDs when installing updates. However, since upgrading Win XP to SP2, I do need to use the CDs. I verified this by updating on two Win XP SP2 PCs, each of which needed the CDs, and then updating on a Win XP SP1 PC, which did not require the CD for the same update (the Outlook filter update released this week).

The updates apparently required two .cab files that were no longer on my PC. I suspect that the Win XP SP2 installation dumped the .cab files for Office 2003. Is there a way to replace them without reinstallation of Office 2003?

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Office Updates (Office 2003)

You can use the local installation source tool. One of the options is to enable the local installation source which will copy all the necessary files onto the hard drive and point the installation programs to them for any future updates.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Many thanks for your rapid and completely successful response!

It does seem sneaky of Microsoft to remove this capability in Office 2003 when doing an upgrade to Win XP SP2!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Glad it helped.

I have installed Windows XP SP2 and have since installed Office updates and it did not ask for the CD so SP2 may not have been the culprit. I originally used this tool a few months ago so that may have made a difference.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting. I never had to use a CD to install Office 2003 updates on any of the three PCs on which I use it, so I was startled to find that I needed the CD for the most recent updates, and only on the two SP2 PCs. Guess nothing can be extrapolated from this event. I'm now updating the last of my XP PCs to SP2; perhaps I'll not add the utility that you suggested to see what happens with future updates.

So far my only problem with SP2 (other than speed) is that one of the older printers that worked fine before SP2 will now hang the PC if I try to use it, UNLESS I turn the printer off while the PC is shut down and restart the printer after Windows is running. Another strange one.

3 Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

I got so sick of trying to find the correct CD whenever I wanted to run a detect and repair or anything else (we had about 3 stand alone versions of the software and heaven forbid if you put the wrong CD in the wrong computer) I got into the habbit of copying CDs to the computers hard drive and installing from there. I now do this for all my software and it saves a heap of time trying to sift through boxes of software.

Cheers

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Karen,

Thanks -- I understand that "sickness."

Actually, the installation tool mentioned in an earlier post easily got me back to the proper state for Office 2003. However, your solution is more generic; it would work with other software and with older versions of Office.