2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List numbering follies - Part 2

I use Word 97. I have a problem similar to the one "writer" has/had.

I am using styles for formatting paragraphs and numbering. The styles work sometimes and don't other times. As an example, what I need is the following:

(A) Major Subject
    "indent" (1) First subSubject
    "indent" (2) Second subSubject
    "indent""indent" (i) First subsub
    "indent""indent" (ii) Second subsub
    "indent" (3) Third subSubject
    ( Second Major Subject
    "indent" (1) First subSubject
    "indent" (2) Second subSubject

This is what I want, but what I get, sometimes, is, under (, instead of a (1), I get a (4).

When I try to start the numbering at (1) using the correct style, I may get (1), but it changes the paragraph format or it leaves it at (4).

I feel like an idiot. Maybe I need a macro like was posted for "writer", but I would think that Word 97 wouldn't behave this way. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks.

KTYorke

Re: List numbering follies - Part 2

I have had more problems with numbering that I care to think about in Word 97 AND 2000. *sigh* and it looks like we all have judging from this board![img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Make sure the style you are using for the numbers was created using the Outline Numbered tab and not the Numbered tab. Also, when applying the numbering style, make sure that the style stays with the chosen format.

For instance, if you start a new list, right click on the line and choose Bullets and Numbering. Make sure that the style you created is chosen, (say the bottom row, left most column). For reasons unknown to me sometimes word likes to change things. Make sure you are applying the same numbering style each time you restart numbering.

Also, make sure that the Continue from Previous is not turned on. That's a little thing, but it'll creep up on you when you least expect it.
    Hope this helped! Good luck
    have fun
    KT

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perfect. I am using the outline numbering. It appears to work just like it should. Thank you for such a quick response.

Thanks

Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin