Thread: Shielded PC

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shielded PC

I have a PC on my network that does not respond to pings or any other communication from other local PCs. From the 'cloaked' pc point of view everything works fine. It can connect to the outside world or any other PC on the network. However, other PCs can not get to the 'cloaked' PC. It shows up in the Network Neighborhood but that is it. They can not even ping it.

I obviously have some odd security setting but I can not find it at all. The cloaked PC is XP SP2. (The cloaking existed from win2k on up to SP2)

help me Obi Wan

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shielded PC

How is your network being run, i.e. if a router, what brand and model and are you using DHCP? If the router has a "Status" tab or screen, is there a place (like my Linksys) to check the list of DHCP clients to see if all PCs are listed? How about if you run a CMD and do IPCONFIG /ALL on the problem computer and one other to compare the results? Seems like it HAS to be a small setting somewhere in the network configuration if it has existed through more than one OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shielded PC

Have you tried sharing any resources on this PC? Even if you haven't created explicit shares do you have any administrative shares? If so have you tried connecting to them? I've got a couple of machines on our network that nobody logs into except for administration. They show up in Network Neighborhood but not otherwise. I haven't tried pinging them.

Or is it maybe an account/password issue? No-if that were the issue then you should get a signon screen, I think. (It's been a couple of years since I last had to address that issue.)