New Lounger
    Thanks

deploying Office 2003 (2003)

I am preparing for a rollout of Office Professional 2003. I ran the Custom Installation Wizard and set everything the way I wanted, but when I deployed to my own PC, none of the custom settings (eg, Always Show Full Menus, Disallow Fast Saves, etc) took. MS says I have two choices: I can migrate existing settings or I can prepopulate settings with the values I set. But I want both: I want to migrate existing settings and I want to override about two dozen of those settings with more secure / more stable / more user-friendly values. What I'm thinking of doing now is to create a .reg file that is automatically run upon each user's initial login to a given PC. The problem with that approach is that I don't know where in the Registry all the settings are located.

Should I try the custom maintenance wizard? The key is I want to touch every profile on each PC.

I want to lock down about half the settings in question; they will be enforced via Group Policy, but for the rest (like setting MRU to 9, or turning on Always Show Full Menus) I'd like to preset with what I think the optimal value is, but then defer to users' preferences.

Thanks

Re: deploying Office 2003 (2003)

I haven't done this but... could you migrate the users' settings using the wizards and THEN push out your overrides using Group Policy? Then you don't have to worry about writing to the same reg keys.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Any migration would have to occur on all profiles on each PC, and I don't know how to do that. I don't think I can just transpose HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice9.0 to ..11.0.

If memory serves, the CIW allows me to set Reg keys, so maybe I could set HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce to launch maintwiz with a custom cmw file for each user.

Thanks

Please also take a look at the links in <post#=408746>post 408746</post#>.