Thread: AV output card

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AV output card

Hi, A friend wants to be able to play his DVD movies with his computer but wants to show them on his big-screen tv. What kind of Video card does he need? Do you have any recommendations? He has a card called AV RISER 5064-8549 in his HP system but I can not find a driver for it. He is running Windows 98 SE.

He thinks the quality of the audio and video will be better through his computer than through a regular DVD player? Any reactions to his thought on this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: AV output card

Why does he think this?

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

He says the quality of the video and audio are better through the computer than a DVD player. Also, he figures he can use the sound system of the computer rather than hooking up the big-screen tv to a separate sound system.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My DVD player used to be connected to my home theatre via an S-Video cable to the TV, and a RCA cables to the stereo. Now that my DVD player has died, I am working on building a computer that will take it's place. My video card has an S-Video out to the TV, and my soundcard has stereo sound outputs to the stereo amplifier.

You won't necessarily get better picture by doing it this way. Could well be worse. If you use a computer, you all of a sudden have to be concerned with software, drivers, codecs, stuff like that.

Doing this is called (among other things) a "Home Theatre PC" . You might have your friend check out http://www.htpcnews.com . They have reviews and user forums that will tell you everything you might want to know. (Actually, the complexity probably just sends a lot of people to BestBuy to pick up a much quicker and easier DVR-based stereo system!).

Have fun !

Thanks

You want an S-video out if possible, or RCA video out (typically a yellow connector) if S-video is not available, plus RCA stero audio out (left, right, white, red).

Some computers (such as DELL laptops) have a proprietary connector and sell a $10-20 multimedia cable that lets you hook it up to the above types of cables.

> He thinks the quality of the audio and video will be better through his computer than through a
    > regular DVD player? Any reactions to his thought on this?

Skeptical. Most DVD/CDRW drives in PCs are CD drives with decoding software or firmware added. A good quality progressive scan DVD player (about $60?) is likely to get more out of the DVD than a PC. And it may well be cheaper to replace when it wears out.

Added: Many plasma TVs also have digital connectors; I have no experience with those.