Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Grisoft and VXD errors

(This may belong in SpyWare, but you'd not know to look there unless you already suspected GriSoft anti-virus).

I think I've tracked down the cause of the BlueScreenOfDeath (Win98SE) that recurs from time to time.

After the latest debacle (and rebuild of c:Windows and c:Program Files) I decided to resist the urge to install any of the fabulous utilities to which I'm accustomed.

For two weeks I've run without a BSOD.

This morning around 5:00 a.m. I decided to load the first utility and let it run for two weeks - GriSoft's avg6286fu.exe, and I'm very happy with GriSoft; I think it's a great product. That's why it was my first choice after quarantine.

Less than an hour later - BSOD. I rebooted and left the machine idle. Fifteen minutes later - BSOD. I have no screensavers, power-standby etc. all turned off.

Hmmmm!

I renamed ..GriSoft to ..OldGriSoft and re-booted. This generated a slew of

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Grisoft and VXD errors

I think build 286 is pretty old.See the AVG FREE updates page for more information. You might also consider trying the beta of the new version.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

> I think build 286 is pretty old.

Undoubtedly. That's the original I d/l a couple (?) of years ago. However, when I re-install it grabs what I take to be a large update to the source, after which it d/l a large update to the database.

Nonetheless, I hadn't realised that there was a much newer version, so I'll check the link. Thanks for that too!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

(2 or 3 weeks pas and ...)

I'm now running AVG 6.0.772 and noticed that I seem to get the VXD failure immediately after installation.

Once the latest database is d/l and installed AND I've done a complete scan of the system, I seem not to get the VXD failure (blue screen of desth).

No hard proof. Just that I've not had a failure now for two weeks.