2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Track Changes+TOC+Autotext=Kaboom? (XP)

I'm seeing some very strange, repeatable behavior in Word 2002.
    I have a TOC block (including a title, a list of tables, and some instructions in hidden text) in an AutoText entry.
    A macro looks for the block, deletes everything from "Table of Contents" to just before the next page break, and inserts the AutoText entry, and does some style adjustment based on the type of document.

But if Track Changes is turned on, the TOC gets inserted a second time above the autotext entry when I change the style of the words "Table of Contents."
    I also see the autotext entry get inserted in the wrong position if I insert it manually (further up in the document) if Track Changes is on.

I haven't been able to find anything adverse about Track Changes + TOC or AutoText online. Has anyone here seen someting like this happen?
    I'm trying to convince my clients that it would be OK to turn off Track Changes during the TOC insertion, but they're not buying it.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Track Changes+TOC+Autotext=Kaboom? (XP)

Hi Joel:
    I'm not a VBA expert, but if track changes are on, you can't really delete or add anything...that's the whole purpose of track changes. Your macro would have to check if tracked changes is on, turn it off if it was, make your changes, & then turn it back on.

Thanks

Re: Track Changes+TOC+Autotext=Kaboom? (XP)

Have not heard of this one. Are you sure that changing the style of the paragraph containing "Table of Contents" is not also changing the style of the Table of Contents itself? Just wondering whether that might cause Track Changes to insert a replacement version (although it really doesn't make sense to do anything before that heading).