JanisN

Pardon my French

Hi, all!

Every so often (in various apps on O2K) my language preference will switch from English (US) to French. Usually, I don't even notice it until I want to autoinsert a date, etc. Occasionally, I will be in view headers/footers mode when this happens and have to exit back to the base document to change back to English. Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it?

Thanks in advance!

JanisN

Thanks

Re: Pardon my French

In Control Panel/Regional, have you set a default location?

JanisN

Hi, Leif!

Yep, I'm all sorted out in Control Panel. The problem is so intermittant that I'm not going to waste a huge amount of my time (or yours!) on it, but I sure would like to know if it happens to others. I forgot to mention that this is on my Windows ME system at work. At home, I'm using W2K and haven't been able to duplicate the problem.

Oy, others at work have had this problem too, so it's not JUST ME! (Always a good thing to know <grin>)

Thanks,

Janis

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah -- so you've found another one of MS's <font color=448800>features</font color=448800> -- [img]/w3timages/icons/dragon.gif[/img]

Go to Tools / Language and unmark detect language automatically. Then exit and save your Normal.
    Karen

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]If you *Never* want French the best bet would be to delete the French dictionary - then it wont be able to set it. The dictionary will be called something like mssp3fr.lex - The fr indicates the language. It might be anywhere depending on how office was installed and what version use search (find) for *.lex.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If some of your documents have French & you have multilanguage proofing tools installed, Word will automatically try to determine the language. This may be true for other MS Office apps, too.

You might try Start/Programs/Office Tools/Microsoft Office Language Settings & disable any language that you don't use.

JanisN

Hi, Karen!

Thanks so very much! I'll do that and post the recommendation on the office bulletin board for others having this difficulty!

Janis

JanisN

Hi, Phil!

Great idea! I'll do that immediately, along with Karen's suggestion. It would be interesting to know what triggers it, but I'll settle for knowing what will stop it!

Take care!

Janis

JanisN

Hi!

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see doing that on my home system but the network guy would have an absolute cow if I started deleting dictionaries! Even ones I KNOW we'll never use!

Thanks for the tip, though!

Janis