3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Duplicate emails (Outlook 2000)

My boss is using Outlook 2000 for his default email program. One morning, it would download only a portion of his messages, then get a server timeout message. He got into his email messages through another option and deleted all messages he didn't want. Now he can read messages, but whenever he sends a message to someone, it will create up to 19 duplicate messages; all with a .dat extension that I can't read. I use Outlook Express as my default email program. He sent the same message from OE and there wasn't a problem. Any ideas?

Thanks

Re: Duplicate emails (Outlook 2000)

These two things don't sound related; I'm not sure about the first problem.

Are the .dat files named Winmail.dat? This is a sign of a message being composed and/or sent in Rich Text Format (RTF). The first thing is to make sure the default format is either Plain Text or HTML. Should be set under Tools>Options...>Mail Format. The second thing is to check your address entry to see if it has an override dictating that you should be sent messages in RTF. Double-click the address in the To box when composing a new message and look for a checkbox to that effect.

Let us know if this sort out the .DAT problem.

Now, about sending the same message 19 times.... is there anything in between Outlook and the mail server? Any outbound virus or spam scanner perhaps? Are there any add-ins that might be doing anything to the messages on the way out?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I don't recall that they were named "Winmail.dat". I deleted them as I for sure didn't want them infecting my computer if it was a virus related problem. (We both have Norton Security) The RTF option; was that on his computer out of Outlook you are talking about or on my computer?

I'm not sure what you mean by having something between Outlook and the server. As far as I know he hasn't installed any add-ins.

Thanks

> I don't recall that they were named "Winmail.dat".

Okay, it would be helpful to get the file name(s).

> The RTF option; was that on his computer out of Outlook you are talking about or on my computer?

His computer.

> I'm not sure what you mean by having something between Outlook and the server. As far as I know he hasn't installed any add-ins.

You mentioned Norton Antivirus. The way Norton scans e-mail is that it sets up a separate program on your computer and changes your mail settings so that incoming e-mail is retrieved through the Norton program. If this is set up, you will see in Outlook's E-mail account settings that the incoming mail server has been changed from your normal server name to something like 127.0.0.1 (an address your computer uses to refer back to itself). The question is whether his outgoing mail server was changed in the same way, so that Norton or something else is touching the messages before they arrive at the mail server.