2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adox Library (Access 2002 10.4302 SP-2)

I'm in the midst of building a Db for my golf club using Access 2002 and 2000 file formats. When finished I expect to provide an mde with an install disk for some of the members who will be using it. However, one of the members agreed to do some alpha testing. He has two machines, each running Windows XP Home. On one machine he has Office 2000 with Access on the other he has Office XP with Access.

Upon loading my mdb on the machine with Office 2000 and trying to start the application, I got an error telling me it can't find msADOX.dll 2.8. Checking the Access libarary references, sure enough it says the ADO Ext 2.8 is missing.

Not being familiar with 2000 I then loaded my mdb on his machine with Office XP. Once agin on opeing the application I got the same error regarding msADOX.dll 2.8. I checked the properties of msADOx.dll on each machine and its a 2.7 version.

I don't remember doing anything overtly on my machine in building the application to get ADO 2.8 ... I think it was just there, but perhaps its a result of some other action I took. First question is how do I get the 2.8 version on my friend's Office XP machine?

Second question, Is there a way to get it on the Office 2000 machine so that the application will run there as well?

I did a search on this site for ADOX threads and only found ones dealing with coding issues, nothing on how to get the right libraries to show up in the references (2.8 is not even listed in the refrences selection window).

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.
    Marty

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Adox Library (Access 2002 10.4302 SP-2)

Unless you are doing some specialized processing of recordsets within your forms or code, you probably don't even need the ADO reference - unless you have used the Switchboard form or are doing record lookups generated using the combo box wizard. In any event, you should be able to replace the reference with ADO 2.7, which is pretty common, and things should be OK. One possible reason for having the later version is the Windows XP security patches - if you are keeping your PC current then one of the recent patches included an update to that module when the MDAC was updated to Version 2.8.

Another issue you should be aware of is that you can only create a 2002 version MDE using AccessXP, and that's likely to cause reference errors in the MDE when you put it on a PC running Access 2000. And of course you can't edit references in an MDE since it is already compiled.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There is a great deal of support for both ADO and DAO built into Access 2002, much more than in 2000, so you might not need the reference. However, I'm not sure where you would have gotten an ADOX 2.8, since while I have ADO 2.8 on my machine, the ADOX version is only 2.7. Unless you're using the ADOX.catalog object or the security aspects of ADOX, you don't need that library at all and can safely remove the reference.
    Charlotte

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I do keep my machine up-to-date with the MS patches, so that's probably how I got to 2.8. I'll also do some early testing regarding a 2002 mde and its references on a 2000 Office machine. Thanks for the heads-up on that as well as your other insights. Most helpful.

Marty

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I do have one set of routines that use the ADOX Catalog in managing the linkages on linked tables. Since there is always multiple ways to do something in Access, I'll rewirte those routines and elimnate the use of the ADOX catalog.

Marty