5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Read HTML File (A2K)

I think I should change my name to Seemingly Simple, because of the 'situations' I run into. I've looked through the Lounge for an answer, but nothing is ever stated as simply as I can understand.

Basically, I have an HTML file that I want to read. Let's call it ReadFile.HTML

I want to put a command button on my screen, which, when executed, will read said file.

That's all. Nothing more.

Needless to say Run Apps didn't work for me. Would appreciate any help,
    Cheers,
    Andy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Read HTML File (A2K)

Why do you want to read the file? Do you wish to read the file from within Access?
    Do you want to read the file to populate a table?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Pat,

Thanks for responding so quickly. The HTML file in this case was outputted from a programme called DemoBuilder. It 'runs' a series of slides showing the user what to do in order to accomplish a particular task. It executes OK as a standalone HTML file, but, I can't seem to find a way to get Access to run it for me. By the way, I have never had such unbelievable support from a software company. They are quick, speak plain English, not Geeklandish, and quickly grasp your situation. Anyway, that's my situation, hope it's a little clearer.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If you define a field in a table as a HyperLink field then this will do the trick. All you need do is to populate the field with the path and name of the html file and when you click on this field on a form or in the table it starts another IE instance and away you go.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,
    Thanks again for your help. It appears to work, but I'm getting the old "Do you really trust the source of this file" message each time I click on that field. And here's another 'problem'. I will have a number of such individual files to run, so I guess I'll either have a separate field for each file, or possibly create a separate table with one field records conaining HTML addresses and then the User will choose what he/she wants to see. Or something like that. Or not. Anyway, it'll give me something to do in my spare time figuring out a neat method. Thanks muchly and if you have any suggestions as to where one could stuff, that message, I'd appreciate hearing.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Andy
    I can imagine that message would drive you crazy. It doesn't happen on my PC. Is that an IE message?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pat,
    Like I'm not already nuts enough as it is. The box's banner reads "Microsoft Office", followed by:

Opening.....,etc.
    Some files can contain viruses or otherwise be harmful to your computer. It is important to be certain that this file is from a trustworthy source. Would you like to open this file?

Aarrgghhh! It probably has something to do with security levels somewhere deep in Bill Gates' bowels that I'l have to search out. Good grief, I don't even run with scissors in my hand. Mind you, there would be a lot fewer kids if warning messages popped when.... Oops, sorry! This is a family forum. Anyway, thanks again, I'm off to search.
    Cheers,
    Andy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Part Deux

Good Sunshiny Morning Pat!

OK, well it is here. Anyway, here's the latest version of my 'situation'. I'm working with only one HTML document at the moment so as not to confuse the issue with details.

I set up a one field table containing the HTML file.
    I put that one field on my screen.
    I click on the one field and the quality of the 'movie' produced by DemoBuilder is excellent.
    The 'movie' comes up in IE and the 'movie' runs perfectly and the 'movie' stops at the end as it is supposed to.

Two problems:
    1. Explorer opens up in full screen thereby destroying the appearance of a standalone 'movie' with all of the usual Explorer 'stuff' visible.
    2. The whole thing just sits there, dead in its' tracks after the 'movie' is finished.

Wish List
    1. I don't want to see Explorer. I checked my Registry and Console Value Name: Full Screen is set to 0 = Disabled and InternetExplorerMain FullScreen is set to No. I'd like it to disappear.
    2. I'd like the whole HTML thing to disappear and go back to my Access screen.

Don't want much do I. Anyway, it's possible that there are tweaks to this that I can deal with. You also have to consider that I'll be running this on someone else's system as well and I don't think it would be a good idea for me to mess with there setting.
    Cheers,
    Andy